Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another '26 Model T Sedan

Eric Macleod

IMG 0074

Eric - Regarding your dilemma of brush painting.  Above is a replica of a friend's truck from 1976.  We delivered pizzas back then and this van got brush painted between deliveries.  No masking tape was used, the color lines were brushed by hand and eye. It was much less than perfect.

So I tried to replicate the car.  I started with spray cans and got a glossy paint job, which then got sanded a bit and then dull coated. I tried to duplicate the bad color separation lines and as good a job as I did, it's difficult to replicate in scale and so that people viewing it understand what you have done.  I've gotten a bunch of comments from guys assuming I just didn't know how to paint straight lines on a model,  not that I was trying to duplicate this fault as it was on the 1:1.

Edited by Tom Geiger

I wouldn't consider brush painting because of the scale. Even after sanding, you'd still have a look that would be more accurate with spray paint  

So here we have the roughest of rough mock-ups but one can clearly see there will be a car here when I'm done.  There's a lot of sanding ahead of me.  I am seriously considering hand painting the cat with a brush.  That is the way dad's car was done in the 1950s and though it may not be the best way to finish the model it would be the most authentic.  What do you think? 

1444871731922.jpg

I think because of the scale argument I am going to go ahead and spray paint the car then go back and beat it up with some weathering.  You can see the edge along the top of the doors is quite uneven.  That is purposeful ala Tom's excellent van. I will have to explain that at the show.  I'm going to try to make it to Detroit next month.  As I'm not too far away it would be a good venue.  You can also see the interior is pretty much done also.

1445293289706.jpg

1445293349459.jpg

I have done some weathering and detail work.  I am almost to the final assembly stage,  though this is always the place where big mistakes can happen.  May the force be with me. Easily the most difficult and frustrating aspect of this model has been making and installing the window cranks. I have them done at last. ..only three evenings later. 

1446171949372.jpg

For some reason the same post keeps popping up.  The car is in final assembly.  Though my model is clearly much too shiny in comparison to the actual car the rough looking body and underlying wood work is looking like I want. Not a beautiful and perfect car it is nicely representing the real car.

I admire the scope of your overall project to replicate all of these model T's.I used a very similar technique to build a '27 T tudor sedan street ro over 40 years ago.Be sure to post the finished set when our complete them.Thanks for sharing and keep being inspired to build.

Edited by misterNNL
another mis spelled word(Rats!)