Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Fairlane hardtop

fairlane1320

Here's a project that's been a long time coming, building a 1/25 replica of my real 1/1 Fairlane. I bought the Modelhaus partial kit 10-plus years ago. I've worked on it a little here and there since then. Over the past few months I've finally gotten around to working on it again, and actually making some progress. 

I have a few '69 Cobra fastback kits, so I had plenty of donor parts. The Modelhaus interior bucket was too thick and I couldn't get the body to fit down over the chassis. So I used the Cobra fastback interior, modifying the package tray to fit the hardtop body. The next problem was the Cobra chassis limited my ride height options with its molded-in rear axle. I ended up using a AMT '66 Fairlane chassis and FE/toploader drivetrain. This enabled me to re-arch the springs and get the tire clearance I needed. The rear tires shown here are a tad big, so I may be looking for something smaller. The front suspension and ride height is still up in the air. 

It's in primer now and will soon be Wimbledon White, and then I need to find some red GT stripes.

fairlane01.jpg

fairlane02.jpg

fairlane03.jpg

I don't see builds of this kit pop up very often so I just had to reply.  I like where you're going with this.  I'm a long time lurker to this site but this is my first post.  I built this resin kit as a replica of my dad's real 68 Fairlane and gave it to him for Christmas.  I also used the AMT 66 Fairlane for the more detailed chassis.  I had to move the rear axle forward a little to get the wheel base to match and cut a little off the tale end of the frame.  Otherwise it was a pretty easy swap.  I used the resin interior bucket but I cut the floor out of it since the top of the 66 chassis is the floor of the interior in that kit.  That allowed me to eliminate the console since my dad's car doesn't have one.  I do think I had to do some dremel work here and there to get the interior bucket to fit up in the body properly.  Sorry for the fuzzy cell phone pics.  I snapped some quick pictures with my phone just before I wrapped it up to give to my dad.  I need to get it back and take some better pics.  The paint color matches the real car closer in person.  I didn't have the best lighting.

150205_0000.jpg

150205_0002.jpg

140511_0000.jpg

Edited by eleanor_350

I don't see builds of this kit pop up very often so I just had to reply.  I like where you're going with this.  I'm a long time lurker to this site but this is my first post.  I built this resin kit as a replica of my dad's real 68 Fairlane and gave it to him for Christmas.  I also used the AMT 66 Fairlane for the more detailed chassis.  I had to move the rear axle forward a little to get the wheel base to match and cut a little off the tale end of the frame.  Otherwise it was a pretty easy swap.  I used the resin interior bucket but I cut the floor out of it since the top of the 66 chassis is the floor of the interior in that kit.  That allowed me to eliminate the console since my dad's car doesn't have one.  I do think I had to do some dremel work here and there to get the interior bucket to fit up in the body properly.  Sorry for the fuzzy cell phone pics.  I snapped some quick pictures with my phone just before I wrapped it up to give to my dad.  I need to get it back and take some better pics.  The paint color matches the real car closer in person.  I didn't have the best lighting.

WOW those are both awesome, nice work! Love the color and the white guts!! I had a Royal Maroon '69 Fairlane hardtop daily driver in the 80s, had lots of fun in that one. I'll be building one of those too.

Did you use the shock towers/inner fender panels and front suspension from the
 '66 or '68?

I probably should have done what you did with the interior bucket, sounds like a good idea. I'll remember that for the next one. Love to see more pix of both cars. 

fairlane04.jpg

fairlane05.jpg

The Cobra model came first out in 1969 with a Q-code (no scoop) 428 CJ standard, and a R-code (ram air) 428 CJ optional.

You could order a R-code (non-ram air/no scoop) 428 CJ motor in '68 Fairlane or Torino, but no Cobra. 1968 CJs are pretty rare.

Edited by fairlane1320

I like it (see avatar)!

I have a 1:1 '68 GT Formal in kit form (disassembled in the garage) I bought the Modelhaus kit to build for.  I too will be watching this one for tips on when I can get to the little one.  I also bought a '67 Fairlane to use for the chassis under it.  I bought a '69 formal body before I found out about the '68 kit so I have that one to build too.

The color is on, and the first stripe is done. I had to cut up some 66 Fairlane and Comet stripes to get what I needed. I forgot I even had these stripes. My 1:1 '68 has a '69 cluster with white gauges. I'm not sure why I painted them silver on the 1/25? It also has '69 door trim panels, so the 1/25 interior is sorta correct. LOL

IMG_0947.JPG

IMG_0950-2.jpg

WOW those are both awesome, nice work! Love the color and the white guts!! I had a Royal Maroon '69 Fairlane hardtop daily driver in the 80s, had lots of fun in that one. I'll be building one of those too.
Did you use the shock towers/inner fender panels and front suspension from the
 '66 or '68?
I probably should have done what you did with the interior bucket, sounds like a good idea. I'll remember that for the next one. Love to see more pix of both cars. 

Thanks, Ron!  I hope I didn't intrude by posting my pics in your thread.  I used the shock towers/inner fenders from the 68 since they actually have more detail than the 66.  The front suspension is from the 66 kit.  I used the entire 66 frame.  I added some styrene here and there to blend the two together but nothing too difficult.   

As for the real car.  It's not a real Cobra as those were only available in 69.  According to the vin, this car was originally a 6 cyl automatic.  Somewhere along the way it was converted to a 351w and 4-speed.  I don't know what all has been done to the engine but it will scoot for what it is.  It already had the hood scoop when he bought it.  We added the Cobra emblems because we like the look.  No intent to pass it off as a real Cobra.

I'll try to get some better pictures of both cars and start a new thread.  I don't want to clutter up fairlane1320's build thread.