Model Cars Magazine Forum

Name That Car!

It is an MEL but none of those listed. It is an FE motor. ;)

That's all there is in the MEL family, FE is a different family.

You know what FE stands for, Ferric Oxide, aka as RUST!. lol just kidding.

I donno, but it dont look like any FE I have ever seen. An FE cylinder head is completely different, and what is pictured sure looks like an W to me. Unless it's some sort of weirdo combo thing.

Ahh yeah, that's right, they were the blocks from MEL. ;) I don't know what exactly it stands for and even my uncle called it that and he is a big Ford guy. ;)

Yes, they do have a certain cylinder head but this is a 390 FE motor, a combo we made then this guy bought it off of him, the year is 1967, same engine that's in his 65 Ranchero, but his a 1966 motor, overheats as of now. :lol:

Ahh yeah, that's right, they were the blocks from MEL. ;) I don't know what exactly it stands for and even my uncle called it that and he is a big Ford guy. ;)

Yes, they do have a certain cylinder head but this is a 390 FE motor, a combo we made then this guy bought it off of him, the year is 1967, same engine that's in his 65 Ranchero, but his a 1966 motor, overheats as of now. :lol:

MEL stands for "Mercury-Edsel-Lincoln"

FE's the exhaust runners stick out of the head and part of the valve cover goes over the intake. So I am not sure that is an FE. Also the exhaust bolts run vertical

428-FE.jpg

Edited by CAL

;) Sorry but thats NOT an FE block by any stretch,352,390,402,427/428.are FE blocks THAT is a small ford W block No Cleveland or Boss either.And It's not a Y block. My Dad was a Ford man an he rebuilt way too many of those things for me not to know! And That's A Fact! :lol:

;) Sorry but thats NOT an FE block by any stretch,352,390,402,427/428.are FE blocks THAT is a small ford W block No Cleveland or Boss either.And It's not a Y block. My Dad was a Ford man an he rebuilt way too many of those things for me not to know! And That's A Fact! :lol:

That's what I thought, and by the width it's probably a 351.

I was basing off a wrong photo, my uncle confirmed. It's a 351 block with windsor heads. They produced the FE motors after they discontinued the Y block.

Is it Ford-Edsel or Ford Engine? ;) I got another that might get you guys thinking.

Edited by Nick F40

:) Cool,Cuz I know I wasn't goin crazy(I'm already there!) The FE block stands for Ford,Edsel.It came out around 58/59, before they sh8tcanned the Edsel. :D

Me either, I thought that was a 351W. I know it's been awhile, 15 years, since I was building engines... oh well.

And yes it is Ford-Edsel... although Mustang & Ford Magazine claims it to be "Ford Engine." It was first released in 1958 in three displacements. 332, 352, and 361.

390 1961-1972

406 1962-1963

427 1963-1969

428 1966-1970

and has some interchange with FT series blocks.

Ford Engine doesn't follow the MEL pattern, and the 361 FE was the only engine option for a 58 Edsel Pacer. The following year, Nov 1959, Edsel was done. The last model year was 1960, and historically noted as Detroits Biggest Automotive Failure ever. Engine options were 332 and 361 FE 292 Y block and a I six.

I think Ford Engine just came from Ford to distance themselves from anything to do with Edsel.

Edited by CAL

I was basing off a wrong photo, my uncle confirmed. It's a 351 block with windsor heads. They produced the FE motors after they discontinued the Y block.

Is it Ford-Edsel or Ford Engine? :) I got another that might get you guys thinking.

so i was right?

Ok, what the hell! :o

hehehehe, Hey I am a Porsche guy, which means I am a rear engine guy, there just isn't that many rear engine cars out there.