Model Cars Magazine Forum

2008 Kit Releases - Amt Mpc Polar Lights

I like what I'm seeing here.

As far as re-releases, that is a great start. Depending on what they are, to many builders they might as well be new tools.

I remember kits from my youth that dissappeared never to be heard from again. Imagine re-releases of everything that has ever gone missing! (Okay, maybe after I die and go to heaven...)

I'll certainly be anxiously awaiting new tooling like everyone else, but in the mean time, it'll be fun to watch for some "where the heck has this mold been hiding" re-issues.

Looks like I'll be falling in love with AutoWorld all over again! ;)

Edited by Daniel Peterson

Well since everyone else is throwing in their $0.02, what I'd really like to see is the Ford C cab combined with the American LaFrance pumper body, that should be an easy conversion to create a "new" kit and the Ford C was the most popular commercial cab ever used to build fire apparatus. All it would take would be a longer frame and figuring out what parts needed to go where. Perhaps a few new items to spruce it up, maybe some good emergency lights, an electronic siren, some nozzles or hand tools etc just to head off the "its just a re-pop of two old kits" naysayers, it seems to be working with Revell. Adding the Cat 3208 diesel from the Ford Louisville kit would also be a plus but again not neccessary.

A kit like this would use recently run tooling to create a "new" kit of probably the most popular fire engine ever made, there are still thousands of of Ford C based fire engines serving in the US and Canada. If you can't sell a Ford C based fire engine, then I guess its true that fire engines are poor sellers. If that works the Ford Louisville could be used to do the same kind of kit as they were also a popular chassis for fire apparatus.

The second item I'd love to see is the '25 Ford Model T 4 in 1 kit. This was a nice kit but was a short run "buyers choice" last time around and very hard to find even though the last run was only a few years ago.

Guest rick r

This is all great news, and with the resurgence of Revell happening as well, it's gonna be a great time for the hobby!

Keep 'em coming!

• 10 years later...
On 3/18/2008 at 5:38 PM, Bernard Kron said:

P.S. I dream of the day someone comes out with a proper '29 Model A Ford Roadster kit as a "3 in 1": classic, street rod and straight line racer! Revell has done everything but this! 

Dreams do (mostly) come true...sometimes. :)

CONGRATULATIONS, JOHN G.  AND TOM LOWE ON TEN YEARS OF BRING BACK OLD KITS FROM AMT, MPC, LINDBERG, POLAR LIGHTS , ETC FROM THEIR TOMBS.  IT HAS BEEN SUCCESSFUL. NOW I ASK, WILL  TOM LOWE  PURCHASE/ LEASE THE  REVELL/MONOGRAM MOLDS AND DO THE SAME??   OR HOW ABOUT A PEGASIS-MOBIUS- REVELL HOOKUP??? THIS WOULD RETURN REVELL TO THEIR CALIFORNIA ROOTS.THEY COULD  CALL IT RPM2 (REVELL,PEGASUS, MOBIUS)