Model Cars Magazine Forum

IHC Transtar CO-4090A WIP

I love this monster International.  What did you thin/ reduce your Mr Surfacer with ? I use this stuff all the time for filling in imperfections and such but never used it as a base primer.

I used it straight out of the bottle. It is the 1000 grade. I used a Paasche H air brush. Works well so far! It can be thinned with Mr. Color Thinner, but I have never used it...so far! And, so far, I REALLY like the results from it. I used to use regular primers and sealers left over from my body shop, but those are long gone now, so, I tried this and like it. Gotta try the 500, 1200 and 1500 grades next!

Nice work. At first I wasnt sure about that super high cab, but now that its coming together it looks good. I myself have thought about building a cabover rigging truck. 

Yeah, I thought about the high cab, but, the 4090 was already higher than the standard 4070 to give added clearance to allow for the larger engine and required radiator. The altered frame rails then raised the cab another 3/16" over stock, but that is typically what happens when a conventional powered front axle is added to a 1:1 truck in this manner. And, since it is only the cab that gets raised, it is a compromise worth having to get a powered front axle. Of course, now I see that there is a hydraulically driven front axle that is being fitted to Class 8 trucks and such, that doesn't alter height at ALL..........but that is WAY too "new" school for me!

Edited by redneckrigger

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got some paint on the 4090. Did the frame in GM Torch Red and the first color on the cab in Case Power White. Now I have to wait a bit for the cab to cure before I mask it off for the two tone scheme I am formulating in my mind. My left arm is getting better, still has a bit of a tremor but that is OK. The paint, so far went well, as it is the first time I've used my new double action Paasche V brush, after retiring my old Paasche H single action one. Now it's on to detail painting the chassis and adding lights etc., and then interior, and then, and then, and then.............!!! One step at a time!

That is major ... chassis painted in final color! ... I usually take a week off, myself, after such a milestone. :D

Ha! Probably should! Actually, it took me about the last three weeks to plumb and wire the entire thing, and you are very right, the paint, at least to me, seems like a huge step! Still have tons to do, and of course, it never REALLY is done after all. Monday is a day off, so back to the bench!

Thanks guys! Actually, I painted it twice. The first time the gloss was WAY too shiny, and didn't look "scale". So, I mixed up another batch with just a BIT of flattening agent in it. Came out like I wanted. Now have to detail paint it, the airbags etc. and a few other things, and continue on........................!

I am doing the details on the chassis now, such as the airbags, lights, and a few other tidbits. Kind of wish, while trying to paint the assembled in place airbags, that I had chosen black for the chassis! But I am not sure I am going to weather it too much. Am kind of going for the used truck just out of the paint shop look, I think. Besides my weathering skills are not only rusty, they are non existant. I will try to weather the V12 a bit as well as under the cab a bit, but will probably be rather restrained overall. Just painted the resin tires tonite and did the wheels in Case Power White. The cab has been given a first color of the same Power White. I am waiting to let it dry for a bit before I mask it for the second color. The second color is also going to be Torch Red in a yet to be determined pattern. Going to practice my two tone masking and painting on a test mule first! Did all of the wiring, air lines, and hydraulic piping for the winch and sprayed them all red at the same time as the chassis, exactly like we used to do when we gave a truck a five gallon overhaul. This truck likely does not have a 1:1 counterpart, but it shifts my gears! Definitely starting to see light at the end of the tunnel!

Cheers, Tom

Edited by redneckrigger

• 2 weeks later...

Just did a mask for the next color on Monday. Sprayed the second color, also Torch red, unmasked it last night and OOOPS! One little spot under the windshield decided to lift the paint off down to the primer. The masking was over the wiper mount hole and perhaps the prep wasn't as good as it could have been around the hole? No idea, but it is not an uncommon problem, having been dealt with many times in the 1:1 world as well as on these scale builds. Oh well, just got done with a REdo of the base white. Gonna work on other parts while this dries a LONG time. Am only using PPG Shopline enamels with medium reducer, no hardener. So, I think I will just be a bit more patient!

Here is a loose mockup, using a Transtar II cab while the paint dries on the 4090, with tires and wheels in place though not pushed all the way into the axles.  Cab sits bit high here as I didn't want to force it into place yet but gives an idea of the total package.  

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by redneckrigger

Great job on the masking.

I used 3M green tape and pin striping tape to mask it.  The green tape is low tack so it does not leave a residue or marks on the paint. The pin stripe tape is the two line variety with one being 1/8 wide and the other is 1/16 wide.  I use the 1/8 for the paint edge and the 1/16 sliced down to 1/32 for the pin stripe.  Very flexible so it conforms to contours and seals perfectly.  Let it dry for about an hour and unmask before the paint gets too hard so it won't chip.  Did it that way when I was doing 1:1 jobs and it worked great.