Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone remember old paint cans?

These are all from the early 70's around 72 or 73.  Three are some variation of candy red, one is candy green, and the other gloss black.  As you can tell I used paint cans as holders for my bodies when I painted.  Also notice the middle bottom can is leaking around the bottom.  Someday I want to open these cans to see if the paint is any good, and if so shoot it througn my airbrush.

IMG_2203.JPG

The old paint can still be good, even if the can hasn't got any propellant to push it out.  

Before decanting, though, get that paint mixed.  Solid colors in particular will settle something fierce.  Shake, shake, and shake some more, then swirl the can around until the agitator ball slides easily around the bottom of the can.  I've revived a can of Pactra Hot Rod Primer...now to find the right thing to spray it with...

I've got a bunch of paint from 20 plus years ago. I tried to use a duplicate the other day, and it wouldn't stop spraying after I pushed the nozzle down. Guess I'll try the next one upside down so at least the propellant with be the only thing coming out, then I can decant.