Model Cars Magazine Forum

Popular Mods For Rookies..

Hi guys,

I've done a search but I'll start this up anyway.

Let's talk which mods can be made to big rig truck models for beginners.  Here in the forum I read about and see finished trucks where the builder says something like;

"basically OOTB with just a few mods".  Well, I don't see them.  I can't tell what's been done.

Lets take the AMT California Hauler for instance.  I know about long hood/short hood as I just read about it on Chuck Most's nice thread about his finished truck.  What else can be readily done to customize trucks?

Please show pics of your builds if you like, that would be great!  I'd like to hear about motor mods, fenders, wheels and tire mods, bumpers and flaps....whatever you guys like to do and what you personally like/dislike.

For instance, tires.  I don't very much about trucks, this is all new to me.  But I do like big tires on them.  Let's see or read what you like to do.

I'd be grateful for some insight and examples.  I'm zeroing in my first purchase(s) so I'd like just an idea to bash it too.  It'll get metal parts for sure, what else can I look at?

Michael

I think what they're talking about are simple things. Switching out tires, lowering a little, adding a part or 2 from another kit, making a visor for a kit that didn't come with one. The easy stuff that didn't require a bunch of time to do.

Example:

This Ca Hauler. I added a Sleeper, made a visor, switched out the steer tires for Moebius, added quarter fenders from a Freightliner COE, and lowered the front a little.

image_zps15cf4942.jpg 

This Revell snap Pete. Started out simple. Made a visor, added straight stacks and lowered the front a little.

image_zpsa6505a16.jpg

But then I re-did it. And went on. I slammed it on the ground, changed the stacks, added Moebius rims and tires, resin fenders, scratch built mounts/Light bars, scratch bumper, different visor, chop panels on the doors, cab and sleeper drop panels, dual air cleaners, stretched the frame, smooth deck plate and altered the front fenders.

20150620_161728_zpszdrwfgmd.jpg

Edited by Petetrucker07

Michael....  I like the old school trucks myself 50s-70s era ones.  I have backdated engines to have the old side mounted blower on them...added the old spoke wheels in place of the chrome or aluminum wheels...added wires and brake hoses,etc... from dual axle rears to single axle.  One can build one into anything they like or want to..its totally up to you.

Clayton, they look great, this is exactly what I'm looking for.  The hood is straight too, right?  Really custom stuff, like cars.  A slammed Peterbuilt!  Love it.  This is good info.  Those trucks look really wicked.

Hi Mark.  I'm with you on the time frame, my drag cars are no later than early 70's.  I did an Internet search for the blower Diesel motors, I understand these now and see how they're mounted.  Do you have some pics of those Diesels?  I realize too about doing what you want to do, but I have to get there first as I just don't know what can be done.

Thanks guys, I hope we'll get some more input here.

I sent you a couple pics of my COEs. If you want to see custom modern, here ya go...

Here's my Moebius Prostar. Lowered, stretched, resin fenders, weed burner exhaust (exhaust underneath), scratch visor, interior matches outside, super single drive tires(kinda wasted those since you can't see them), and a few other tiny details (valve stems and that sort of thing).

Clayton, they look great, this is exactly what I'm looking for.  The hood is straight too, right?  Really custom stuff, like cars.  A slammed Peterbuilt!  Love it.  This is good info.  Those trucks look really wicked.

Hi Mark.  I'm with you on the time frame, my drag cars are no later than early 70's.  I did an Internet search for the blower Diesel motors, I understand these now and see how they're mounted.  Do you have some pics of those Diesels?  I realize too about doing what you want to do, but I have to get there first as I just don't know what can be done.

Thanks guys, I hope we'll get some more input here.

I am the same way...I like all kits of the very very late 50s through 70s body styles...2door,4door,wagons,campers,vans,and of coarse big trucks..LOL..  First thing you need to do is figure out a good kit to start with that fits what you would like to make from it something in the era of trucks you want to build one of and go from there.  The Diamond REO...AMTs Western Star are good starting areas in my opinion...they have the older truck look. Internet photos will give you a good idea of what things should look like and then you can decide what you want to do with yours to make it your own.  I have no photos of any but there easy to find just google them...GM Diesel engines.   Best advise anyone ever gave me is to treat every part as if it were a model itself.

Edited by disabled modeler

Jeff, you put a KW on a Ford kit?  Love it.  Ole Henry'll roll over again but the model looks good!

Mark, I'm really eyeballing the AMT Ca. Hauler for my 1st endeavor, maybe the AMT White COE as no. 2, I'll have to see which shop has what I'd like.  I'm in Germany so shipping costs as much as the kit.  1 stop shopping is then a wise thing to do .

I'd sure like some 5 spoke wheels on the White!

I like to build all of my models after real trucks, that way I have something to go off of to get all of the details right. Here is one that was close to "out of the box" for me.

I started with an AMT K123 kit. I changed the rear suspension to 8-bag air ride from a Revell W900 kit, changed the wheels to spokes from the Diamond Reo kit (modified the rims to be "tubeless" style), and changed the engine to a Detroit Diesel 8V92T that I bought from Auslowe. The real truck was a 1981 model, where as the kit is based on a late 60's model, so I had to update the cab a bit. To do this, I made the vent windows smaller, added a wider grille and side grab handles from a Revell K100 kit. I filled the holes in the door for the old style door handle and added "slam lock" door handles at the bottom of the doors. The front bumper was changed to a "gull wing" bumper from a Revell W900 snap kit, which I then cut square holes in to replicate the real truck's bumper. The real truck had cab mounted exhaust and intake, so I used the exhaust from the Revell W900 kit (as the AMT kit exhaust is too small) and scratch built an intake tube. I scratch built the air-shield on the roof out of fiberglass to represent the one on the real truck. I also added little details like windshield wipers, valve stems, and grab handles (made from wire) on the front of the cab. I then plumbed the model with air and electrical lines. Basically a lot of little things to get it as close to the real truck as possible.

26%20model_zpsa46upgyu.jpg

Edited by KJ790

I don't have pics yet but can get some later unless someone else wants to post? ie the Pete Guru... :P

But an easy mod for the beginner is taking the hood off any of the 359 kits and sanding the rivet detail and removing the forward fender mounting bracket and maybe one other thing to take it from a steel hood to a fiberglass unit...

can also take a snapper kit and an extra frame to lengthen the frame while retaining only two cuts instead of the usual 4...(May do that later to show clarification for not sure if you folks understand what I was saying anyways on that note...)

Not sure what else can be done other than swap engines but that gets tricky with a couple parts (Note my Cat swap into a SBA 377 kit build I'm doing)

Can also swap out tires and wheels from the snapper to a set of Mobius ones... (Note if anyone has extra snap tires that's good pm me please)

Not sure what else other than the usual merc bunk on the cali hauler for petes is mostly what I build minus the one WS and maybe a Kw or Diamond reo kit...

If you're into that sort of thing, more detail really adds to the look of nearly any model - adding detail takes experience - trailer air and electrical lines are obvious if they are missing and easy to add - chassis and engine detail can come later

The Bendix air brake Handbook is an excellent reference for the air brake chassis plumbing - http://truckpartsetc.com/sales/PDFs/Bendix/extra/Bendix_AirBrakeHandbook.pdf  I may edit this post if I can find an older revision of the Handbook with the correct, pre-1975 single air brake system for most AMT truck kits... 

Edited by Muncie

Steve, now we're cookin'! 

I just checked out the assembly sheet for an AMT truck, so I see already the motor will be cast in metal, there are enough parts to it to make it a nice piece.  I've checked too some of the lines needed for big Diesels.  Now, with the brake lines and plumbing I'm set to go.  I'll check out the link very soon.  I really think I can pull off a decent truck build when the detailing for the rear suspension is accurate.  Since the trucks are quite a bit larger than my last drag race cars I think I can handle it.

I'm thinking too in the direction of a firewall from aluminum sheet and adding some of the wiring, things of this nature.

Thanks for the info.

KJ, I like the KW123 but I can't find one yet from a shop that has the AMT Ca Hauler too.  Good idea too about building one from reference pics.  But here again, I don't really realize what I'm looking at when I see a truck I'd like to do. 

Thanks Sean. about the hood....do you meant making the existing hood just look like it's fiberglass?  OK, that's a small detail I could easily handle.

KJ, I like the KW123 but I can't find one yet from a shop that has the AMT Ca Hauler too.  Good idea too about building one from reference pics.  But here again, I don't really realize what I'm looking at when I see a truck I'd like to do. 

Thanks Sean. about the hood....do you meant making the existing hood just look like it's fiberglass?  OK, that's a small detail I could easily handle.

I think AMT just discontinued the K123 a couple weeks ago, so ebay is probably your best bet for that one. Just have fun with it, you will learn as you go. Often times I only have one or two pictures of a truck I am replicating, so I find pictures from the internet of similar trucks to get detailed pictures of different parts to copy. Truckpaper.com is a great source for pictures of engines, suspensions, and interiors on a wide range of trucks.

Yeah, some models of Peterbilts can be had with either a steel hood or a fiberglass piece. The fiberglass hood is smooth but the steel one has rivets holding it together. The Revell 359 and the California Hauler replicate the steel hood, sanding the rivet detail off makes it look like a fiberglass hood.

Extending / shortening the frame / wheel base is a pretty simple thing to do (just make sure your cuts are even), swapping dual drive / single drive axles, engine swaps, sleepers (some trucks this is easier than others). Headache racks are another fairly easy modification. Style of hood (butterfly vs tilt) is often a fairly simple job sanding off detail or scribing some panel lines depending on which way you go.

Ford LTL engine swap (kit comes with a Cummins, I'm swapping that with the CAT out of the Revell Snap Peterbilt). Fairly straight forward swap, just had to make some minor adjustments to line up the mounts and make sure everything clears when the hood is shut.

LTL10CAT_zps1cb0e100.jpg

I also replaced the back wall of the cab (large pass through opening on kit part) to convert it from a sleeper to a day cab. Just a matter of tracing the kit part onto sheet plastic and then cutting out a rear window. It will be up against a tanker body when complete so doesn't need the same level of detail as a tractor might.

LTL5_zps28679b6d.jpg

Headache rack and frame extension on an IH Paystar. The under bed tool box was fabricated as well, another fairly easy task (its just a box after all).

paystar9.jpg

Edited by Aaronw

I also replaced the back wall of the cab (large pass through opening on kit part) to convert it from a sleeper to a day cab. Just a matter of tracing the kit part onto sheet plastic and then cutting out a rear window. It will be up against a tanker body when complete so doesn't need the same level of detail as a tractor might.

LTL5_zps28679b6d.jpg

This might help illustrate Aaron's cab wall mod a little more, this is what the original kit back wall looks like.

Jeff, you put a KW on a Ford kit?  Love it.  Ole Henry'll roll over again but the model looks good!

Actually Michael, the wrecker bed is made by an outside supplier, not Kenworth. If Jeff would have use the KW hood with the Ford cab, then I think Henry might have had a problem! :lol::lol::lol:

This may be a little too radical of a modification for some, but this is my first attempt at building a modified rig, most any trucks I built before this one were just out of the box with maybe just a wheel swap from spoke wheels to Alcoas or different stacks. 

It's the same Ford Jeff used for his wrecker, with 7 1/2 inches added to the frame and sleeper to convert the sleeper to a 180 inch custom. The sleeper is the same as the one on Jeff's wrecker, just with some added roominess.

question about engines does the amt white western star have a CAT

Nope. It's either a cummins or a 8V71. The Revell trucks are only ones with CATs.

According to the box art photo I found on Model Roundup's page for the kit, it has the Cummins NTD 350.

http://www.modelroundup.com/product-p/amt-r2-724.htm

Thanks Aaron,  those are good ideas, thanks too for the pics.  Good work too.  I like the headache racks, I think I could make one of those. 

Matthew, now that's an altered wheelbase you're showing there!  The cabin can't be called a cabin, more like an apartment.  Whatcha got there in the back anyway?

QUESTION GUYS:   With the kits, can the cabin just be deleted?  I see a truck or two that I like, but can I make them a day cab too without major surgery?  Are they just added on to the conventionals?  There are for instance Kenworths, I think a t900, without the cabin?  Maybe just not mount the thing to the cab, and block off a hole, or entry to the rest area?

Thanks Clayton,  I've found out there's a couple of kits I'll stay away from, the ones you mentioned first just now are my current faves. The White COE too, I can't find the KW123.  For now I'd like to start with day cabs.

Another thing I don't understand is why the longer wheelbase mods?  Bigger sleeper, or is it a driving/handling thing?  Some guys are doing really long, stretched out chassis....why?