Model Cars Magazine Forum

Are you seeing a lot more old trucks on the road lately too?

In the last year or two I've noticed a significant up tick in the number of older trucks on the highway. It had been years since I'd seen a cabover in these parts but now there are several older trucks, mostly K-100s and a 362, tooling around locally. I've also seen a few W900B models and some 359s, there's even an old Transtar II around. Is nostalgia factor driving this, the diesel scene has really blown up in the last decade or so, or have emissions regulations finally pushed owner/operators to resurrect older tractors that don't have to meet the new standards?

Here's a pic of a local K-100 that has recently been burning up the road.

In the last year or two I've noticed a significant up tick in the number of older trucks on the highway. It had been years since I'd seen a cabover in these parts but now there are several older trucks, mostly K-100s and a 362, tooling around locally. I've also seen a few W900B models and some 359s, there's even an old Transtar II around. Is nostalgia factor driving this, the diesel scene has really blown up in the last decade or so, or have emissions regulations finally pushed owner/operators to resurrect older tractors that don't have to meet the new standards?

Here's a pic of a local K-100 that has recently been burning up the road.

IMG_0231_zpsg8n7ombl.jpg

I saw that one or its twin the other day. VERY COOL!!!

Well, come first of the year here in Cali, the old iron is gonna be few and far betwwen. Emissions is killing the old work horse truck. They're headed for the graveyard, scrap yard, or hopefully someone's garage to be restored and used for truck shows and RV use. In California, the loud pipes on trucks workin are almost gone, sad times a comin.

Dude, are you from NC? I see that k100 and another one just like it only a black frame thats stretched a little. I see em all the time burnin up 40...

Yeah, I work in Charlotte. I saw one with the exact same paint with a stretched frame today but the frame was red, that was what prompted this post. There is also a yellow 86" Aerodyne I see a few times a week. It just seems like very recently a lot of older iron has been running around.

New emissions have restricted trucks in power and in fuel mileage, thats probably why more are returning to the workforce, i fo one am all for it. Older trucks were built better anyway. Forget all the new technology, brute power gets the job done every time!

thank you someone that thinks the same thing lol

Around here (Illinois) about the only time I see older rigs is at harvest time. It seems some of the farmers bring them out to haul the corn & soybeans to market. About a month or so ago I saw a beautiful white & red Transtar II. Even just passing it on the highway I could tell it had been well cared for over the years.

We don't see too many old trucks here in Central New York.  Road salt is pretty brutal on equipment.  There is a guy in the Utica area that delivers pool water with a fleet of Kenworth K100E AeroDynes; so we see them from time to time.

I did see an International 9400 (I think) the other day while driving around East Syracuse.

Managed to get a shot of this International 9400, though.  According to the driver it's an ex-Wal-Mart tractor that is now hauling carnival rides.  Took the photo a couple of years ago at the Oz-stravaganza here in Chittenango.

I saw this ol' pete sitt'in in a yard next to a job site I was delivering a piece of equipment to just the other day. she's not back on the road yet, but she sure is in restorable condition. I struck up a conversation with the owner. he told me his dad bought it as a new glider kit back in 1978. now the pete has a 650hp 1693ta in it and the truck is for sale. i didn't  bother to ask how much because i don't have a garage big enough for it. i wish i did!

ford ranger 009.JPG

ford ranger 019.JPG

ford ranger 017.JPG

ford ranger 015.JPG

ford ranger 016.JPG

ford ranger 021.JPG

I saw this ol' pete sitt'in in a yard next to a job site I was delivering a piece of equipment to just the other day. she's not back on the road yet, but she sure is in restorable condition. I struck up a conversation with the owner. he told me his dad bought it as a new glider kit back in 1978. now the pete has a 650hp 1693ta in it and the truck is for sale. i didn't  bother to ask how much because i don't have a garage big enough for it. i wish i did!

Man, that thing is begging for a restoration. I saw another old truck today, a K123 like the AMT kit but with a mild stretch. I was creamscicle orange with the white stripes that dip to the bottom of the grille and big straight pipes.

Edited by Fat Brian

Lots in Florida too. All about the emissions disaster, the new stuff is lousy, i drive one every day. The newer DEF systems are better than the regen systems but they're all junk.One of the hottest segments is gliders with pre emission drivetrains. I guess you can't find a 12.7 Detroit anywhere. I know of at least 2 companies that are building new Coronados with the pre emission 12.7s