Model Cars Magazine Forum

57 Nomad

Fanof69

This is the first model I built when I got back into modeling about 4 years ago. Before that the last model I built I was probably about 10.(now pushing 50!) It was also my first attempt at BMF. I know I probably could have started on something a little easier to foil but hey jump in head first. Right? Anyway forget what paint I used but after a few weeks to a month or so the paint cracked in several places as you can see in some of the pics. Anyone have a suggestion as to why that might have happened? BTW I did not use any clear over the paint. Hope the pics work!

GEDC0240_zpsv6l2jhm9.jpg

GEDC0244_zpsk1hodz9f.jpg

GEDC0245_zpscnueqgmg.jpg

GEDC0256_zpsilkkbo28.jpg

This was also my first and only attempt at homemade plug wires. I have since bought some of the pre-made distributors for future use.

GEDC0258_zpselscqul0.jpg

Edited by Fanof69

Nice work. Is that the Monogram 1/24 scale version?    I like your playhouse in the background.   You can build it in scale!  Here's mine, built from a set of Popular Science Magazine plans.

Thanks Tom. Yes that is the Monogram kit. From what remember the kit went together pretty well. I was actually trying to keep the swing set out of the pics but it was that or the above ground pool on the other side of the yard. That's a cool play set build. My granddaughter would love that. So far my only scratch build is a model of my pop-up camper(without the ability to pop-up:() I'll have to post a couple pics of that at some point.

By chance could the paint have been the short lived House Of Kustom line? I heard of cracking problems with some of the acrylic clear from the line, but haven't heard of any of the colors doing so.

After posting this earlier I went back and looked at my paint stash and I'm about 99% sure the paint is testors one coat lacquer De Ja Blue.

The 57 Nomad is one of my alltime favourite cars and on the top of my wishlist in 1:1 cars. I did have the Monogram 1:24 kit some years ago but I sold it again. I like your build.

I have had several models with similar problem on the paint. I am not 100% as to what caused it but I do have a theory.

The paints that I use as mostly touch-up rattlecans for 1:1 cars. All of the models that I have had a cracked paint problem on was painted and built some years ago when I did not have an inside paintbooth. I sprayed the cars in a cardboardbox outside and quickly ran inside the house with the body to let it cure in roomtemperature. I usually had the paintcans in roomtemperature before I sprayed but because of cold wheather I guess they could have gotten a bit cold wen I sprayed.

I think that the problem may be because of the temperature difference when spraying and after I got inside with it, or it could also be that I did not wait long enough between layers of paint.

Now (and since we moved in to our house in 2009) I have an inside paintbooth with heat and I always warm the cans a litte before painting plus that I let the temperature be quite high both before and after painting so the paint cures in a good temperature. Not so much that the plastic melts but above roomtemperature anyway. I also let the body (and other parts) sit for longer before applying more paint.

I have not had this problem since we moved in to our house in 2009. This is just my theory and may not be the same as your problem.