Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question about wreckers with sleepers

There are a couple of large wreckers with sleepers around the corner from me. They use at least the lower part of it for equipment storage. I didn't get a good look inside but know they do occasionally have some long trips, so could possibly still have a bunk set up in the upper section to catch a nap.

"I've seen a few converted into a lounge type set up with chairs. "

When I was driving with a trainer back in '09 we stopped at the Petro in Las Vegas to fuel up.  My trainer pulled the truck forward after filling and quickly jumped out of the seat and told me to follow him.  In doing so he didn't pull the air brake.  Long story short, the truck went down an incline and slammed into a parked truck with a driver sleeping inside.  After all the 5hours of arguing, statements and police were done the wrecker showed up and towed us (truck and trailer) to the Freightliner dealership.  The wrecker was a T800 with a single bunk.  The bunk had a bench seat.

I'd like to see the inside of Western Distributor's Pete 379 wrecker (triple axle dbl-bunk stand up).  I see it regularly up and down I-25, I-170 & 76 towing various trucks and buses.  I've seen it as far south as Albuquerque.

I always wondered about what the sleeper might be used for on a wrecker, but then I remembered that pendulum effect thing....I guess if you have a sleeper the truck would naturally be longer and add more weight to the front axle....Something that I think would be necessary in towing.....And, of course, I'm sure it would come in handy more than once....Only an observation, though....I AM NOT an expert.... :D The hamster and wheel were a turning for a bit.....