Model Cars Magazine Forum

Took a break for a while (vacation to Florida actually) but today I got the heavy lifting part of the paint job done.

B17f.thumb.jpg.879850c15cd961a1c56a081c3

Masking off the de-icer boots took 3 or 4 times longer than it took to actually spray them.  

Next I can start adding some the detail parts, gun turrets and such, then it's decal time.

Man this thing is huge!

Decals are done.

B17g.thumb.jpg.e71c13dc781c73ca5a3e8f621

These just might be the best decals I've ever used on a plane or a car. They're super thin, very opaque, go on easy, and snuggle down perfectly.

There are about a hundred little small stencil decals like you usually see on military planes but since this will be hanging from the ceiling I think I'm going to save my eyes and my nerves and skip 'em!  

Clear plastic and paint no financial investment.  . Funny at the contest standing baclkand watching the doubletakes as peeps thought it was actually spinning!

prop10007_zpsicvffmwe.jpg

So they'd never seen an actual real-life spinning prop? Just photos of them?

I'm calling it done.

B17h.thumb.jpg.f4d3f7a5bbb749ea7abcc0b8b

B17i.thumb.jpg.b0ac713cfd1e2a84c8bb6bcfa

It's far from IPMS ready but it will look just fine hanging from the model room ceiling so I'm happy with it. I'm also glad to be done with it. It took up a lot of room on the workbench and there were times when it was tricky finding ways to hold it and move it around while working on it. No more "big" planes for me!  

As cool as it will look in your home, it's kind of a shame to let so much work just hang so all you see is grey and props. One of the reasons I drifted away from planes, too much goes unseen, yet I can't not detail them. But the B-17 is such a handsome plane and I'm sure a lot of us wish we had yours hanging in our homes. Nice work.

As cool as it will look in your home, it's kind of a shame to let so much work just hang so all you see is grey and props. One of the reasons I drifted away from planes, too much goes unseen, yet I can't not detail them. But the B-17 is such a handsome plane and I'm sure a lot of us wish we had yours hanging in our homes. Nice work.

Thanks. I thought about what you're saying and I'm not going to hang it right up against the ceiling but a little lower and in a bank so I'll see lots more than just gray and props.  :lol:

I'm calling it done.

B17i.thumb.jpg.b0ac713cfd1e2a84c8bb6bcfa

It's far from IPMS ready but it will look just fine hanging from the model room ceiling so I'm happy with it. I'm also glad to be done with it. It took up a lot of room on the workbench and there were times when it was tricky finding ways to hold it and move it around while working on it. No more "big" planes for me!

For some reason, this picture starts the soundtrack of the movie Heavy Metal playing in my head! B)