Model Cars Magazine Forum

KJ Humphreys lowboy trailer, almost finished

I think I haven't posted anything on this one, anyway, I didn't find any, so here goes. KJ made a kit for a lowboy some time ago, so when I got my copy, I started building it almost right away. It has a 3D printed framerails, mostly cut "Evergreen" styrene parts, a good quantity of resin molded parts and balsa wooden planks for the side floors. I made myself a Lego gage to make the trailer straight and proceeded with the build. It was fairly straightforward and easy to put together. I wanted more suspension detail so I swapped it for an Auslowe suspension and brake kit, added wiring and plumbing and scratchbult hydraulic cylinders for the detachable gooseneck. I'm almost finished with it, it needs a couple safety beacons in the back and a license plate. Here is what it looks like now:

You've seen this LTL before, I'm using it for fitting and demo:

from the rear

Nice 2 resin hole rims and rubber tires included in the kit

Showing some of the rear brake system and wooden floor

Those nice wheels again with the scratch built big "D" panel

Functional cylinders

Unhooking gooseneck

Unhooked

Cylinders retracted

Ready to load that dozer, almost...

like I said, almost done! Needs it's own tractor and Dozer now.

Wow ! That is really nice ! You did a real fine job on the build . I just wish you had  done a build thread. I got one of those kits. haven't started it yet. Wishin now I had ordered the dual axle kit as well. Hope KJ does some more of them.

Be well

Gator

Very Nice Work!!! The trailer and the Ford are awesome!!!

KJ, there seem to be a lot of people kicking themselves. I didn't even know about them and I'm kicking myself. Before anyone gets injured, is there any chance that these may be available again?

X's 2    I could use at least one more three axle and one or two two axles lowboys if KJ does them again.

Be Well

Gator

I have been looking for a detachable lowboy kit for what seems like forever. KJ, make 'em again and you have three, minimum, sales to me alone! Have either been too late out of the gate when one was offered, or tried to get one from someone who ended up trying to keep the deposits and not furnish a product. Anyone know know of ANYBODY making them in kit form?

Robert, that is superb work! The detail work looks real! (Nice Ford too!!!)

I have been looking for a detachable lowboy kit for what seems like forever. KJ, make 'em again and you have three, minimum, sales to me alone! Have either been too late out of the gate when one was offered, or tried to get one from someone who ended up trying to keep the deposits and not furnish a product. Anyone know know of ANYBODY making them in kit form?

Robert, that is superb work! The detail work looks real! (Nice Ford too!!!)

I think we were quite a few to get ripped off by that OTHER guy. 

Thanks for the comments! The basic kit was great, I added some bits and pieces to make it mine. Quite a bit of work went into this, and the end result is quite fine by me. So unless you drastically modified an AMT lowboy trailer, if you wanted a modern lowboy, this was the only game in town.

Another option if you want a lowboy ( low loader) is KFS. His kits are top shelf and well worth the money. The only drawback is that they are of a European design.

I have a complete rig of the first low loader Howard did back in the 90''s. Hope to be building it soon.

There was also a series of articles on how to build/modify trailers.Including one on how to do a removeable gooseneck lowboy. You can find the articles in the Dutch modle website.

Be Well

Gator

Edited by gatorincebu

You could also scratch build a lowboy using the suspension from the Revell-Germany heavy trailer. The suspension from the AMT could be used as well. It's been done before by other members of this forum with excellent results.

Yes, absolutely, I've seen it done, I

also have seen some that were completely scratch built!

Edited by BigBad