Model Cars Magazine Forum

1:10 scale Mercedes Sprinter ambulance.

Robbo

This project started 18 months ago with the design, construction and the making of electronic circuit boards for the flashing lights and siren. The body is, in the main, a model Sprinter ambulance with an entirely different roof styling. (see first pic) The original roof was discarded and the rear cabin body modified and partly scratch built. The whole original model was completely stripped and repainted. The final red, green and yellow colour panels are self-adhesive reflective sheets of thin PVC material. The colours are those of the SA Ambulance Service.The rear, front and side flashing lights are made from discarded calculator buttons fitted with Fresnel lenses, as are the 7 spot lights. A total of 56 high intensity LEDs and 10 standers intensity LEDs are used for the lighting. Opening of doors switches ON interior lights. The rear view mirrors are fitted with amber LEDs and Fresnel lenses. For a more detailed view of construction and a video clip, use the following link: http://s254.photobucket.com/user/Robbo2008_70/library/Mercedes%20Sprinter%20Amb%202014?sort=6&page=1

Cheers from Robbo.

IMG_0575.thumb.JPG.e94f1b7aafe380ddba24aIMG_1004.thumb.JPG.a9a8b36f8eeb1717844f2IMG_1122.thumb.JPG.cff9553def01c5d0737dcIMG_1137.thumb.JPG.107667dfff4a7c26040e4IMG_1215.thumb.JPG.cfe6223d605c5e5d10c80IMG_1216.thumb.JPG.1bf267d55bb022519d908WP_20151116_11_47_51_Pro.thumb.jpg.69d18

IMG_1214 - 250P.JPG

This is really cool! Nice work! Is that a kit?

This is really cool! Nice work! Is that a kit?

Thanks for the comment. No, its not a kit. The original model was given to me by my Paramedic son for Christmas 2013. Its made as a toy. I've modified numerous models, both plastic and diecast and fitted them out with lights & sirens with circuits of my own design. Robbo. 

cool, lights always add an extra dimension to any model. it's a pity there's no 1:24 sprinter kit, as there's some good potential in one.
I also made a sprinter toy into a model vehicle, but from a 1:43 one, at least 1:10 gives you room to add all sorts of detail.

I'm also currently converting a 1:16 Bruder  model Mercedes Sprinter horse float into a bariatric ambulance. Took some stripping as no screws are used, only strong plastic clips. Google - Bruder and Dickie toys for the various large scale Sprinters available, which can be stripped, converted and partly scratch built to your liking. The smallest that I have put lights into is a diecast 1/32 Sprinter.

Have fun finding and converting.

Robbo.