Model Cars Magazine Forum

The advantage of........

Being new to model building I am pretty open to trying new things. After cruising the forums,I have discovered there is an advantage to having daughters and modeling.  The advantage is the endless supply of paints in the form of nail polish.  Since the girls are no longer living at home, I told the wife anything left by the girls is free game and I was going to raid the bathroom of all finger nail polish left behind. She then said to go thru her stash and take what I want. I think I ended up with 25+ bottles (not including the pinks) of nail polish and most are full and never opened. Think I'll get a pack of plastic spoons and check paint compatibility and colors.

fingernailpaints.JPG

This is CRAZY...... but the toe sponges they use to hold they're toes apart for nail painting, ALSO good, they make GREAT paint applicators for lettering or numbers embossed in the cars hoods or fenders, and even the air cleaners that have "Edelbrock" in them! -I'm guilty as charged LOL

This is CRAZY...... but the toe sponges they use to hold they're toes apart for nail painting, ALSO good, they make GREAT paint applicators for lettering or numbers embossed in the cars hoods or fenders, and even the air cleaners that have "Edelbrock" in them! -I'm guilty as charged LOL

Great Tip.  Need to scour around the house and see if there are any laying around.

Great Tip.  Need to scour around the house and see if there are any laying around.

Thanks! They're almost a rubber like sponge, and have an odd swerve cut to fit around toes for painting.... Ask ya wife, she'll show ya LOL BUT the smooth side of this makes a GREAT raised letter, thinned paint applicator!

I buy Nail Polish Myself

Whether my Sister is with me or not

If I see a Color I like I get at least 2 bottles

But, I stay with those $2.oo each or Less!!

I Just Can't see paying $4-10.oo for Less that a Half Once of color!!!!!!

And Yes, I use emery boards

Not just on parts, but on broken finger nails too!!!!!

I Have told people asking that they are Car Paint for Models, and they accept that

I've been collecting nail polishes for use on model cars for decades.  There are some really good "car colors" available.  I usually shop for them with my GF.  Plus, like others mentioned, other beauty shop supplies are really good for our hobbies. I use the multi-grit emery sticks and pads and also the resin used for acrylic nails.

I have around 100 bottles of nail polish in the stash!  Here is a recent model I used nail polish on:

Bottle01_zps25474a88.jpg

Edited by peteski

I use the fingernails to extend fenders and over front lights , like  this in progress build of Revell 1/12th chopper from a few years agoIMGP0071

or the fender tops of this Revell 49 Mercury DSC05332

Model builders can find a way to re purpose just about anything...like small scale recycling..

Edited by BIGTRUCK