Model Cars Magazine Forum

Models in films(movies)

Just watched "The Giant Gila Monster" You know the kind of film where teenage Hot Rodders save the world from some horrific menace. What I do like about these films though is the way we see hot rods just as they really were, straight out of the pages of those little page magazines and not a Rat Rod in sight.

Just as the Giant lizard is about to munch up everybody he stamps on a few nice models/promo's, sorry I don't know the makers, then the hero drives his nitro glycerine loaded 32 into the monster. What a waste of a decent deuce kit as car and lizard are blown to bits.

The world is safe yet again :)

Cheers, J.

Just watched "The Giant Gila Monster" You know the kind of film where teenage Hot Rodders save the world from some horrific menace. What I do like about these films though is the way we see hot rods just as they really were, straight out of the pages of those little page magazines and not a Rat Rod in sight.

Just as the Giant lizard is about to munch up everybody he stamps on a few nice models/promo's, sorry I don't know the makers, then the hero drives his nitro glycerine loaded 32 into the monster. What a waste of a decent deuce kit as car and lizard are blown to bits.

The world is safe yet again :)

Cheers, J.

i've seen that movie.  or at least i remember the part with the 32 and the nitro.

Thunderbirds had some neat futuristic stuff in the puppet shows. Cant seem to find any images of what I am after though most were emergency service vehicles, police cars, ambulances, taxi's and limousines. A lot of those got trashed by earthquakes and other calamities.

Correct me if I am wrong but Rolls Royce approved the use of their trademarks on Lady Penelope's FAB 1 Rolls Royce.

We seem to see models destroyed though probably due to filming budgets in these old B movies, hence the use in the Gila monster film. There must be some more out there, how about Attack of the 50ft Woman(original)?

Sorry cant find any screenshots :(

Thunderbirds had some neat futuristic stuff in the puppet shows. Cant seem to find any images of what I am after though most were emergency service vehicles, police cars, ambulances, taxi's and limousines. A lot of those got trashed by earthquakes and other calamities.

Sorry cant find any screenshots :(

Quite a few here; looks like they used some Jo-Han promos or kits as well as Monogram '58 T-birds in various guises, plus an AMT or Monogram '36 Ford, and even the Silhouette:

i276663.jpg

http://www.imcdb.org/movie_57790-Thunderbirds.html

Note a couple cars are misidentified; check the descriptions...

Edited by ChrisBcritter

A discussion re: The Giant Gila Monster (technically, The Giant Beaded Lizard):

http://monsterkidclassichorrorforum.yuku.com/topic/2787/THE-GIANT-GILA-MONSTER-review?page=1    

Thanks for that!  Great discussion.  Somewhere, maybe on this board, somebody once said that the PMC Ford station wagon promo in "GGM" was the only unwarped one they had ever seen.

Speaking of warped...I must have seen the MST3K version of "GGM" 10 times and it still cracks me up. "And the Lord said DIE, children, DIE..."

I'm pretty sure Kim Jong-Un has a copy of "GGM." And uses that song to torture North Korean political prisoners.

Looks a bit better than that magazine piece by piece issue 1/8th kit. What scale is that one?

1:3

Three were made by computer printing them.
One was blown up in the film, one was kept by the company, who made them, one was sold at auction for over £100,000.

Ironically, the real car that was used as a reference to computer print the models did not fare well.

2AE9D8E600000578-0-image-a-8_14381117515

Four-year-old-hurt-as-classic-James-Bond

It looks like it's not too uncommon among DB5 owners to think their cars were made by Q.

Vintage Aston Martin driver floods rare DB5

Edited by Junkman

Thanks for that!  Great discussion.  Somewhere, maybe on this board, somebody once said that the PMC Ford station wagon promo in "GGM" was the only unwarped one they had ever seen.

Speaking of warped...I must have seen the MST3K version of "GGM" 10 times and it still cracks me up. "And the Lord said DIE, children, DIE..."

I'm pretty sure Kim Jong-Un has a copy of "GGM." And uses that song to torture North Korean political prisoners.

Guess there was a lot of that "lets make Hot Rodders look like good kids really' type of thing. Yes that song is excruciatingly bad, its up there with Teddy Bear, the CB radio weepy. I guess Polio was a big thing in the 50s, an older friend suffered from it but it didn't stop him from being a bad ass type.