Model Cars Magazine Forum

Since There Isn't An F1 Category......

Hey there F1 fans and hopefully experts, I am wanting to build a Revell Benetton B194. I have heard of the "decals from hell" saying might have originated from this kit. Even with several F1 books, and even one specifically on Benetton, I can't seem to get a good record of sponsors vs wings etc.

I want to build a version with the cool "bitburgers" on the sidepods, and use "mild sevens", not the "benetton" markings. I don't even know if it raced in this configuration, but if so, I would like to see it so I can get it right. The version that Revell gives you doesn't even exist from what I understand. So, I am going to have to make some changes anyways.

I certainly do appreciate the help. I have been a big fan of F1, and modelling for a while, and now I am trying to combine the two. I have had a harsh learning curve with the peculiarites of F1 kits with the Revell Renault, and Sauber Petronas kits. Still, it beats the ###### out of buying a diecast!

Again, I do appreciate any help. If not, if I post pics of this kit when done, I BETTER NOT HEAR FROM A SINGLE DARN RIVET COUNTER! Post facto experts after asking for advice,well, grrr! Kidding of course! Everybody, have a great rest of the week!

I'm an F1 fan but I do not know much about this Benetton that you are doing. I would suggest contacting a web group called GPMA. Good group of guys and very knowlegeable about F1 and sports cars. Also I would encourage to join this group. Hope this helps.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gpma/

http://gpma.org/

Hey Brendan, thanks for the heads up on GPMA. I am now waiting for my application to be approved. I did see a couple of B194's on their site, but they are not the scheme I'm looking for. I'm pretty sure once on, that I'll learn a lot. It always does help to have someone who has built a particular kit, tell you the pitfalls and give a few pointers. Hopefully, I'll be able to do that at some point. All I can do now is recommend where to spend your money at!

Thanks,

Greg

If you have not already...try Benetton's or Renault's website, they should have a link to F1 on their site

You will probably be limited as far as decal choices out there

can always explore making your own...can be done!

F1 has always been my favorite, it's what got me building models...

I'm sure todays F1 race cars present a real problem for model kit manufacturers and builders alike, can you imagine the amount of photoetch needed to build a new BMW in 43rd scale - oooftah!! :lol::P

good luck on your search....

Hi Greg,

I like F1 but I'm far from an expert. As far as I know the B194 raced with either Benetton, Minichamps or Oracle markings on the sidepods.

I believe (but don't quote me on this) the Bitburger sponsorship came with the B195 Renault powered car the following year.

This is a B195 at Silverstone in 1995. You can see the sidepods (and most of the bodywork) are totally different.

2314399637_b9d5477dc4_b.jpg

Thanks,

Hi Greg,

I like F1 but I'm far from an expert. As far as I know the B194 raced with either Benetton, Minichamps or Oracle markings on the sidepods.

I believe (but don't quote me on this) the Bitburger sponsorship came with the B195 Renault powered car the following year.

This is a B195 at Silverstone in 1995. You can see the sidepods (and most of the bodywork) are totally different.

2314399637_b9d5477dc4_b.jpg

Thanks,

Thanks again for the info. The B195 pic is great. I actually have this kit and the mild sevens from F1 Specialties. They are great people there. As for the Bitburgers, the kit came with them. It seems that they were on the car the last few races of the season, but I can only find pics of the French version without the mild sevens. Rear wing is incorrect for that car, so I can't even build it right from the box! I actually found, and for sale I might add, chassis 08 that won several races, and even shunted Damon Hill for the 1pt win! I would like to model that car, but I don't have the Benetton Sport Systems decal for the side pods! Dilema if I want to build it right. It is truly a great life I have if this is the was the only dilemas I had! Talking about, cars and doing car research, I guess life is good. Thanks again, and I hope we can share F1 info, and enthusiasm for the sport.

Regards,

Greg

ps- nice to know that there are other F1 fans here too!

France is one of the places where tobacco is banned from advertising in cars even as sponsors.

Let me dig the 1994 schedule and see if I can find pics of the last races of that year.

I just finished a few weeks ago the 1/24 Villeneuve's '97 FW19 championship car in the French GP livery.

DSCF1924-vi.jpg

more pics here

Glad to see another open wheel fan!!!

Thanks,

Greg,

I found videos where it shows the car using the bitburger sponsorship in Japan and Australia, the last 2 races of the season in '94. But the wings are hard to see.

Adelaide 94

Japanese GP 94

Third to last (Europe GP at Jerez) show Benetton side pods.

Thanks,

Ismael,

Thanks, and AWESOME! Your FW19 is fantastic. I've heard that kit is a booger too. Looks great! I never even thought to look in youtube. My kids are going to tell me "duh" when I tell them. It is so cool to see all that footage. A lot of that I had to read about, or see in highlight footage. I was in the Marines back then and therefore perpetually sans TV. Why they wouldn't let us have one with a sat dish in the back of our amtraks, I'll never know. Back to modelling.... Australia will be my version. Same wings, camera, refuelling etc as kit. I just need to find a way for the atrocious kit decals work with some mild sevens. Totally doable. As I am rambling, do you have the FW19 build posted? I actually have one of those in the pile too. What is your next F1 project going to be? By the way, can you tell that there is no one to talk to about F1 racing let alone modelling in San Antonio?

Thanks again, your Williams and the F1 footage has made my day.

Regards,

Greg

Glad to help Greg!

Here is the thread on my FW19 build on this forum.

forum build thread

...and this is the thread in our spanish forum. It's in spanish but there are more pictures here of the progress than in the first one.

build thread

This is the thread on the finished model. F1 is not the most popular subject in this forum so there was very little response to it. That's why I'm excited to see another fan!

finished thread

I currently have on the workbench among many other projects, 2 Indy cars and the Revell Germany 2005 Ferrari F1. But I haven't done anything on that Ferrari yet.

Thanks!