Model Cars Magazine Forum

B.R.B.O. 1955 H-63 Mack

What do you mean "back to sanding"?  Are you changing the color?  Looks like a great paint job to me.

Thanks Michael. I'm just trying to get it slick before I put some clear on it. I also have a couple of places to fix. Being an old resin cast, it has taken a lot of work, and it's still not going to be perfect. It will probably get one more coat of yellow before it gets cleared. It's been drying for a week, but it doesn't look like I'll get much done this week.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments guys!

Well today was the day to start again. I knew that it was too humid to paint lacquer, but I risked it anyway since I haven't worked on it in two months. I'm sure that you can guess how it turned out.

Back to the drawing board. The cab looks terrible! I'm now considering a different color too.

Thanks Sam! I knew better, but with very little time lately I decided to try.

I'm leaning towards black as well. I'm not really wanting to strip it, because first it's resin, and also I have a lot of body work involved in it already. The problem is that I used Testors Lacquer and it is quite a bit softer than other paints, especially other lacquers. So, if I don't get all of the yellow off, I have to get a paint that won't react with the yellow. I'm to the point right now that I want to just put it in a box and forget it, but I don't like starting a project and getting this far and not finishing. Oh well!?!

Brian, sad news about the paint.  For me the paint job is still the biggest unknown factor, will it work, or not?

I'd suggest at the current stage of progress, just redo the paint, same color.  The frame and all of the parts there are done, and have color. 

My last project had a paint job that kicked my butt good, so bad that I lost interest in finishing the build, even though it was as good as done.

You've had a pause now, I hope for you the road gets smooth again.