Model Cars Magazine Forum

Freight Train 3 (AKA Freight Train B)

JPolli

Thank you for the compliments.  Jesse, I did build a cow catcher for the front.  Was not sure if this version had one on the front?  Could not find any reference PICS. Might you know?  I know there is a cow catcher on Hemi version and the current reproduction.   A cow catcher does add a nostalgic touch. 

Thank you for the compliments.  Jesse, I did build a cow catcher for the front.  Was not sure if this version had one on the front?  Could not find any reference PICS. Might you know?  I know there is a cow catcher on Hemi version and the current reproduction.   A cow catcher does add a nostalgic touch. 

From what I know, only the latter version and the restoration have the cow catcher. 

There was a magazine many moons ago , i think it was called , american rodder and they did an article on this rail . They also from memory said how he had to race under a made up name , something about his wealthy family was going to cut him off from the family wealth .

DISGUISE. Younger readers raised in the Internet age will find it difficult, if not impossible, to believe that the face and true identity of a major motorsports figure could be kept secret for four years. Take it from one of the media co-conspirators who protected that big lie: John Peters did not win the ’63 Winternationals in his Freight Train—contrary to official NHRA results issued at the time—nor was Floyd Lippencott Jr. the most dominant driver in the history of Top Gas Eliminator, despite that name’s regular publication in national magazines and newspapers. The alias was spontaneously created one night in the spring of 1963 when San Gabriel Drag Strip announcer Mel Reck and manager Steve Gibbs borrowed the last name of one of Steve’s college professors.

Hrxp 1203 1960s Nhra Legendary Driver Bob Muravez Freight Train 0002/7Bob Muravez may have been the only driver who always wore a face mask and helmet in the staging lanes, however long the wait. Now you know why.

“My dad always said he’d disown me if I drove,” explains Bob Muravez, 74. “My brother and I worked for him in the family business [the Maytag franchise in Burbank, California —Ed.]. I explained the situation to track operators and writers and photographers wherever I raced. I guess they didn’t want me to lose both my father and my job, because they never announced or printed my real name. If someone needed a head shot for something, he’d wait until I put on the helmet and mask. NHRA even issued Floyd a license in 1966, with no picture. I’ve still got it.”

Thus was drag racing’s biggest secret preserved from February 1963, when John Peters registered himself as a Winternationals entrant, until the summer of 1967, when Bob’s father found out the truth—and promptly disowned him. It was an unfortunate winner’s-circle appearance on ABC’s Wide World of Sports after the Freight Train’s ’67 NHRA Springnationals win that blew Bob’s cover. “I arranged for my dad and I to take a long boat ride the day that it aired,” he recalls. “I told him that the TV he kept on the boat was in the shop for repair. Unfortunately, a buddy of his had seen the show, and said, ‘Your son’s been driving all these years.’ Dad didn’t believe it, so the guy brought him an Orange County [Raceway] program that happened to have the first published photo of my face without a mask. The next day, Dad handed me the program and said, ‘You’re no son of mine.’ As he walked out, he blew out a shop window out with a hammer. He never spoke to me again as long as he lived [1993].”