Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1953 Corvette

carro

Im almost done with my 72 corvette so I started another corvette, the 1953 one. My friend gave me a while back a box with 5 corvettes from AMT so the next few builds will be mostly Corvette's. This one so far seems more challenging than the 72. The body consist of 3 parts and both the front and the back pieces don't seem to match up properly. So far i glued the pieces and puttied and primered and puttied again and also painted the body with testors gloss gray. I also stripped the chrome of the plated pieces and opened up the front grill and made large exhaust openings so I can put some big exhaust tips.I also started the engine and Im planning to paint the interior in blue. That's all for now. here are some pics of my progress so far.

Now to wait for a couple of weeks for the paint to dry so I can spray some clear on it. meanwhile I will start on the interior and continue on the engine.

• 2 weeks later...

It's looking great so far!

Thank you!

That didn't happen to be a Monogram box for the F100 holding all of those corvettes?  I sold that many once, long ago.  :)

Looking forward to seeing this come together! 

No it's a box for the blue max funny car. Thank's

Got some work done on this one. I polished the paint but the finish got cloudy, I dont know what  went wrong but is in break fluid now. I will just have to redo the body work and everything else again. It seems every kit I paint I have to paint twice so  here goes round two. Meanwhile I started on the chassis and will continue to work on the interior.

P3090084_zpstlxbjhsn.jpgP3090086_zps6qlqbzxr.jpgP3100087_zpsqvwpjsyn.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If I don't repaint at least once, I'm not trying it seems, so you're not alone. :wacko:

Looks like the rest is coming along nicely at least, I hope you don't have too much bodywork to redo!

Yea, that seems to be the norm for me now, paint more than once. I don't mind the painting is the bodywork I don't like to do. Thanks!

Well I finished the body work (except for the hood). Second time around having to redo the body work I decided to get rid of the body trim on the sides. I saw a review on this AMT kit and they pointed out the body trim on the driver side was slanted upwards, something to do when they retooled the mold for it. I also didn't use the taillight fins.I decided to make them out of putty and make them round like the rest of that body line. I had a lot of trouble getting rid of the ghosting on the trim but I finally solved that issue. Also started detailing the interior. Thank's for looking!

P3140091_zpsujvwgetl.jpgP3240238_zpsqicthhxy.jpg

• 5 months later...

Well the 3rd day of fall and back to the bench.Time to continue on this one and even maybe finish it.  I decided on wheels and 'ill be using the Boyd,s wheels from the Chezoom kit. I stripped the chrome and I'm going to apply a charcoal mix on them.

P9160303_zpsi5ulx3xp.jpg

P9180304_zpsg6txheym.jpg

Also got the interior and engine finished.

P9200307_zpslmqxwgcu.jpg7365eef4-d543-4784-975b-10be4d4b5778_zps

The interior is 90 something % done.

P9120301_zps5obifiy8.jpgP9120300_zpspaq3u8st.jpg

Next to put the engine and interior on the chassis.