Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya MK IV Supra Single Turbo - UNDER GLASS 8-27-16

lghtngyello03

I have buddies with mkIV poopras and I've seen them too many times. There are absolutely no holes in the seats. The only small "gap" is between the seat and the headrest, but it looks like you're asking about that slot looking hole in the headrest...in that case no, that shouldn't be there.

I have buddies with mkIV poopras and I've seen them too many times. There are absolutely no holes in the seats. The only small "gap" is between the seat and the headrest, but it looks like you're asking about that slot looking hole in the headrest...in that case no, that shouldn't be there.

Thanks, Everything that I saw online was only a front shot of the seat, and I did see that small gap between the seat and headrest in the 1:1. I'll do my best at filling that thing on the backside. Guess I'll try some more styrene sheet, or maybe a piece of styrene rod laid in there and file it to shape.

Thanks, Everything that I saw online was only a front shot of the seat, and I did see that small gap between the seat and headrest in the 1:1. I'll do my best at filling that thing on the backside. Guess I'll try some more styrene sheet, or maybe a piece of styrene rod laid in there and file it to shape.

Or you could try some putty. I use green stuff for a lot of things, works real well.

Or you could try some putty. I use green stuff for a lot of things, works real well.

Here's a good shot of the back of the seats for you. I just googled "mkIV supra trunk" lol

Thanks man, didn't think of searching for trunk, lol. I was searching seats. I've got some Tamiya Putty, but I've had a lot of issues with ghosting with it. So I have to go over it with a thin layer of Super Glue to remedy that.

Edited by lghtngyello03

Thanks man, didn't think of searching for trunk, lol. I was searching seats. I've got some Tamiya Putty, but I've had a lot of issues with ghosting with it. So I have to go over it with a thin layer of Super Glue to remedy that.

No worries dude. Can't wait to see more updates on this supra. I just finished a restoration of a glue bomb AMT supra, but I hate how glue bomb headlights never clear up so I'm still mucking around with it.

Thanks man! Yea the Supras are definitely wicked cars.

Thanks!

Thanks, I may try something different on my next run with it. Looks a little dark for my taste.

Thanks, I may try something different on my next run with it. Looks a little dark for my taste.

Thanks man! I am super excited to get the Scalefinishes Royal Sapphire Pearl in and get some color laid down.

You could try Spaz Stix Ultimate Mirror Chrome. I use it because it comes in a rattle can, and its easier, and more durable than Alclad.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally an update, lol. I haven't done anything on the Supra in a while due to some other things that took priority at home.....then all last week having the Flu. 

Finally feeling better Saturday night and Sunday I got some work done.

Here is a final pic of the seats fixed with styrene sheets, some rod for the hole up top, and some putty to make it look good.

20160313_180702.jpg

Interior is painted and flocked. Not much detail to the dash....I really want some gauge pods. Anyone know where I can get some for 1/24 scale?

20160313_192510.jpg

20160313_192534.jpg20160313_192559.jpg

Here is the paint from ScaleFinishes. This stuff went down so easy, I wonder why I haven't used an airbrush until now! What is everyone using to polish the ScaleFinishes clear with? It went on amazingly, but I want it to be even slicker.  

20160311_134836.jpg

20160313_192713.jpg

20160313_192727.jpg

20160313_193029.jpg

20160313_192824.jpg

20160313_192836.jpg

I also made a catch can, still have to paint the styrene to simulate the airfilter, and the beads for the A/N fittings.

20160313_192910.jpg

Edited by lghtngyello03

So I got the body wet sanded and polished with Meguiar's Scratch X yesterday. Still have to go over it with Meguiar's Ultimate Polish and a good Glaze from Adam's Polishes.

Used a cotton polishing wheel on my dremel for the ultimate shine and couldn't be more pleased! :D I'll let the pictures do the talking.

20160315_170143.jpg

20160315_193054.jpg

20160315_193107.jpg

20160315_170113.jpg

20160315_171714.jpg

20160315_212507.jpg

Nice Shine!

Thanks! Not bad for my first real airbrush paint job right? 

Nice job!!  Im too big of a chicken to try a rotary tool to polish..  kudos to you for making it work and work well!

Thanks man! Just a mini version of a 1:1...I detail cars and have used a large combo of rotary and DA polishers on them...had to bust out the Adam's machine polish because the Meguiar's wasn't taking out all of the fine scratches from sanding. Made 1 pass over the passenger door and my light scratches were gone, where Meguiar's ultimate didn't take it out after numerous passes. Guess that is what a better product will do for you.

Looks great! The 2k clear looks tough enough to take a rotary polish! So happy that you enjoyed the paint! Can't wait to see the rest of the build ??

Thanks a lot! Love Scalefinishes paint now! Hated to have to let so much 2k clear go to waste but next time I'll shoot all my projects at once to avoid this.

Edited by lghtngyello03

Thanks man! Just a mini version of a 1:1...I detail cars and have used a large combo of rotary and DA polishers on them...had to bust out the Adam's machine polish because the Meguiar's wasn't taking out all of the fine scratches from sanding. Made 1 pass over the passenger door and my light scratches were gone, where Meguiar's ultimate didn't take it out after numerous passes. Guess that is what a better product will do for you.

Oh yeah!  I recently picked up some Wizards "mystic cut"  Its a no grit rubbing compund/hand glaze in one shot... Wet sand with 2500, and 2-3 applications by hand and it looks great!  Bad news is its almost 50.00 for a big bottle, but Ill use it on my 1:1 stuff. 

Got all the black trim on the body and undercarriage (minus the driveshaft and support plate) finished up yesterday. I love the airbrush for this, no bleed through on any of the taped areas.

I brushed the headlight areas to be completed tonight with chrome in the bulb areas. Also did the tail lights as well.

20160317_203920.jpg

20160317_203929.jpg

20160317_204056.jpg

20160317_204121.jpg

20160317_204355.jpg

20160317_204009.jpg

20160317_204145.jpg

20160317_204224.jpg

20160317_204312.jpg

Looking good!   I really like the Scale Finishes products...I have only painted 3 models so far but I really love the results I have gotten so far. and the wide range of colors and stock colors you can get even the most current 1:1 colors

Looking good!   I really like the Scale Finishes products...I have only painted 3 models so far but I really love the results I have gotten so far. and the wide range of colors and stock colors you can get even the most current 1:1 colors

This being my first one I am definitely going to be a returning customer. The results are awesome!