Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hubbley plastic models

It's been reissued several times under different companies (Entex and Minicraft). You can still get them pretty cheap, usually under $20:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Models-Kits-/1188/i.html?_sac=1&_from=R40&_nkw=rolls royce silver cloud&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Were you thinking of building the car from the Ron Howard movie Grand Theft Auto?

The Hubley Rolls is always available for cheap on eBay, under the Minicraft label. It was originally produced by Hubley and is the only promo ever authorized by Rolls. That said, it's pretty rudimentary. The tires are too small, the hubcaps are inaccurate, the one-piece engine top is just a blob, the Flying Lady mascot is about twice as big as it should be, and you may find a lot of flash and mold seams. Body shape is pretty accurate, but the trunk fit is kind of loosey-goosey. Interior tub is typical 50s, meaning too shallow. The kit was also issued by Minicraft as a "Phantom Squire" woody with awful wood panel stickers; this version was also issued with a misprint on the box claiming it was 1/16 scale -- not so, as I discovered when I opened the box. There never was a 1/16 kit of this car.

Edited by sjordan2