Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 GTO

MrBuick

I'm putting the '67 Vette Roadster in the box for a while because the high-gloss black paint job is stressing me out...I think I'm gonna wait until my painting skills are a bit more refined before I tackle that job because black is the king of showing flaws. In the meantime, I've moved this "Goat" to the front of the line. I've not decided on a color yet, but I'm leaning towards red with a black interior. I'll need a few tips along the way, starting with the wheels. I want to use the stock outer wheel, but the chrome doesn't seem right to me...maybe it's too shiny? From pictures of the 1:1 cars, it does look like the stock wheels might be chromed, but I'm having trouble telling. Should I hit these with some flat aluminum or steel, or maybe shoot a lustless clear to take some of the shine away, or does it need to be left alone?

Good luck with the Vette! I too know what it is like to have issues with a black paint job.  I think you will find this kit fun to build.  The particular wheels you show that have the knock offs are all chrome.  There is a video on youtube by ARS-TV that shows an "all original 1964 gto".  The wheels are all chrome.  The video might be a good source for detailing your GTO.

Thge stock "wheels" in that kit are supposed to be the "spinner" hubcap. ["wheel cover" for those so inclined] They were not chrome plated but made from stamped stainless steel. 

They look OK chrome but if you want to tone it down I'd suggest hitting them with a light coat of Testors semi-gloss clear laquer.

MVC-001F

1964 PONTIAC GTO 036