Model Cars Magazine Forum

Things I Want don't exist

Yeah things I want. One, why is it that when a new tire is made, whether resin or rubber, a wheel rim is not also made to fit it.

Too many new tires are made that don't recommend a corresponding rim that will fit.

Two; Why are there no farm tractor tires made in resin?

And I particularly would like to see crawler track shoes and earth mover tires and rims.

Like the ones on loaders and excavators. I know these may be items not readily sold but at least they should be offered by casters, don't you think?

I believe many scratch builders would buy them, but presently these thing aren't offered at all, anywhere.

Comments

Yeah things I want. One, why is it that when a new tire is made, whether resin or rubber, a wheel rim is not also made to fit it.

Too many new tires are made that don't recommend a corresponding rim that will fit.     Hmmm. Maybe because most resin casters assume most modelers are capable of measuring, or adapting what IS available. Some of us do it all the time.  :)

Two; Why are there no farm tractor tires made in resin?     Hmmm. Maybe 'cause there's virtually no market.  :o

And I particularly would like to see crawler track shoes and earth mover tires and rims.

Like the ones on loaders and excavators. I know these may be items not readily sold but at least they should be offered by casters, don't you think?      Well, resin casters have the right to make what they think people will actually BUY in sufficient numbers to justify the investment of considerable SKILL and TIME it takes to make masters and molds.  Lots of cottage-industries have disappeared because somebody guessed there was a market that simply didn't exist.   :mellow:

I believe many scratch builders would buy them, but presently these thing aren't offered at all, anywhere.  If you truly believe there's an unfilled market just waiting, I would respectfully suggest you develop the skills and invest the time and money for materials to make these things.  :D

Comments

There are a ton of things that seem relatively simple & universal to car modelers that seem to be impossible to find.

Places like "Fireball Modelworks" offer things like beautifully cast exterior door handles for different GM & Mopar cars.

Why is it nobody seems to want to cast items like stock exterior mirrors for 1/25th cars from the 50s & 60s.

We all know how fun it is to steal any mirrors we can find out of our kit stash.

Or another great opportunity for decal producers would seem to me to be small detail decals mostly for applications under the hood.

I have a request in the wanted section as we speak for Mopar valve cover decals for the early 60s wedge engines.

I would think it would be a relatively simple operation to do a whole sheet of decals consisting of nothing more than a bunch of valve cover & air cleaner decals for various cars.

If I had the capability of making nice decals, I would jump all over something like that!

Seems like a no brainer to me.

I have found a source for a few smaller detail decals like battery logos & other small warning labels, but you'd think that things like this would be very common, & much better sellers than some obscure race car graphics.

Just a couple of the many basic things that I have a hard time believing that nobody has capitalized on........yet.

Steve

Ace you are correct, that's why I noted "don't exist" !. The link Fat Brian mentioned, is the closest I've come to loader tires and rims in all my searches.

I have some skills in design and have made some 3d printed items. I have submitted track shoe designs in the past but I fail at the price point.

Oh well I guess it's more of it don't exist. Thanks guys

I have some skills in design and have made some 3d printed items. I have submitted track shoe designs in the past but I fail at the price point.

Yeah, coming in at a price modelers will pay is part of today's problem, and a large part of why so much of everything is made in China now. Seems as though, rather than finding a way to make prototyping and tooling skills cost-competitive here, real businesses in general just say "it's impossible" and offshore-source most work like this. 

3D printing, as you note, makes it possible to develop masters without the very high degree of manual skill that was once common among American tool-and-die makers, but you still have to learn the programming / computer processes...and the mold-making and production end of it too.

Probably the only way you'll see the parts you'd like to have available is if some modeler creates them out of necessity, and makes molds of his results to share his work.

The decal thing Steve mentions is another hole in the market I'd also like to see filled, and these are all products I'd seriously consider developing if I didn't have to actually make a living from the work I do.

One would think that, given the incredible connectedness the internet makes possible, it wouldn't be all that hard to pull together a small group of comfortable retiree-modelers who collectively had the skills to do something in this vein (and buy Modelhaus while they're at it).  :D

For Crawler Track Shoes you could look at FriulModel http://www.friulmodel.hu/en/metal-tracks-p5/ They make absolutely gorgeous track kits for military applications. These kits consist of individual white-metal links that is assembled with pieces of wire which act as hinge pins. This approach makes it possible to create a realistic articulated track with the right amount of "slack".   You will not find any bulldozer track in their selection, but they might have something that is approximately the size you need. From there on I guess you could modify to fit with your own grousers etc.

As a farm equipment collector myself, I can understand the frustration with the lack of 1/24-1/25 scale tractor and parts availability. The problem is just as Ace stated, virtually no market. Most equipment collectors are not builders, and they tend to either prefer large scale (mostly 1/16 for the extra detail) or small scale (1/64 and 1/32 for space conservation). Some of this also is a carryover from the toy origins of most farm collectibles.

That said, you may try looking into G scale (roughly 1/22.5) railroad. I have seen some farm equipment in that scale, mostly European, that could be adapted. Also, many Bobcat die casts are available in 1/25 scale.

I don't know if its what you're looking for but B-N-L Resins has resin tractor tires, and some other tires you might like

Hey, and they also have rim/tire sets

http://www.b-n-lresins.com/shoppingopencart/Aftermarket-resin-cast-1-24-1-25-scale-hobby-model-tires-tracks/Aftermarket-resin-cast-1-24-1-25-scale-model-resin-tractor-tires-short