Model Cars Magazine Forum

How'd you approach this?

Hi all,

I recently got the intense desire to have a replica of some of the crazy cars from Mad Max Fury Road and in particular, the game. This car, specifically. (Below.) Its a 68 notchback Plymouth barracuda. I'd love to hear how you might approach this. Some of the things I'd love to figure out:

1. I've not seen a notchback cuda kit - only the fastback. Unless I'm missing something? 

2. What would you use for the beefed up suspension and tires? 

3. And most importantly, since I've not been in the model car scene: is there a venue for buying or trading PARTS only? For example, this car has 5 bumpers on it. I dont want to buy 5 kits but I bet my fellow modelers have extras in their spare parts bins to sell. Is there a good forum for this? 

Any other ideas on the build approach are very welcome. Looking forward to chatting with everyone!

Rob

107.jpg

107a.jpg

Modelhaus offers a '67 Barracuda HT kit in resin but it's a bit pricy and hard to get at the moment.

I've seen, on eBay, '67-'69 Barracuda HT bodies--as short-track dirt racers. A skilled modeler could graft the top from one of those onto a common (just reissued) MPC '69 FB body, and go from there.

It MIGHT be possible to chop a '68 Road Runner top down to resemble a second-gen Cuda hardtop, or something close to it, and graft that onto the '69 FB.. MIGHT. Maybe. Anyone here tried it?

I love that game. Play it way more than I probably should. Love the idea for the build. I've been wanting to do something like this for a while too. The Revell snap tite jeep has some really nice offroad tires, and you can get em cheap at a hobby lobby with your coupons. 

Bandit Resin has a 69 notch back but I have never ordered from them so I can't attest to the quality or service.

http://www.banditresins.com/1969_plymouth_cuda.html

That roof doesn't look right, at least not in that pic. But it looks like there MIGHT be enough meat there to carve the correct shape out of it. Or it might at least be enough "structure" to build up the right shape on. Interesting.

That roof doesn't look right, at least not in that pic. But it looks like there MIGHT be enough meat there to carve the correct shape out of it. Or it might at least be enough "structure" to build up the right shape on. Interesting.

I agree, from the picture it looks like the roof slopes to the back and the windshield might be too high or the rear window could be too short. If the problem is in the windshield I imagine you could graft the windshield and front half of the roof from the MPC kit to correct it. If the problem is the rear that would be a bit tougher, you would have to do the opposite of a chop. Either way it looks buildable, I might take this on soon.

I don't presume to know your skill level or your goals for this project.  However before you invest a lot of money here is very good thread that demonstrates what's involved in recreating a Mad Max car.  Since you haven't been in the model car scene I think you will find it informative.