Model Cars Magazine Forum

Old MPC ? Hood identification

Need help figuring out what this hood is from. I have a few parts from an old MPC 68 Camaro convertible & believe this is the hood from it.

I also have an old AMT 1968 Camaro RS-396 Rally Sport hard top body.  The hood fits the AMT body. I know these early Camaro's were similar between the MPC & AMT.

Any help is appreciated,Thanks.

hood.jpg

Edited by Lordmodelbuilder

That's an AMT hood, it's from the custom only "for 1968" annual Camaro kit.  AMT didn't have advance information on some 1968 cars because MPC had the promotional model deals for those.  AMT threw a few customized '67 kits out there and called them "for 1968" kits.  Most of their '68 annual kits had "1968" on the box, the custom ones had "for" in small letters next to "1968".  The hood pictured is a custom item of course.

If you have a Camaro body with the roof molded in place, it is either AMT '67 or MPC '68.  The AMT "for 1968" kit had a '67 convertible body with no scripts or emblems, no taillight panel, and a separate vinyl roof.  

Hey Mark,

The hard top body I have is an MPC. It has molded in Rally Sport SS emblems on the sides of the fenders & also 396 emblems molded on the front of the fenders.

I have an old AMT 1968 Camaro convertible box along with the Mod Topper decals. Any idea if that kit would have had that hood on it?

I'd never seen that hood before. Kinda cool!

The AMT '67 and MPC '68 Camaro bodies are quite different. Not hard to tell apart if you've seen both of them. Just for one thing, the MPC body is narrower than it should be.