Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modelshops in Salt Lake City and Denver, is there any?

So, we are going stateside. We land in Salt Lake City in a week from now and we will spend 13 days driving around. Our flight back is from Denver on May 7th. Is there any model shops I can visit on our trip?
Is there anything else modelrelated I should go and see?

The best hobby shops that I'm aware of in the Denver area are Colpar Hobby Shops.  There is one in Aurora (East side) and one on the West Side on Wadsworth Blvd.

I've only been to the Westside shop and it's pretty nice but mostly RC stuff.  The guys there tell me their Aurora store has 3 times as many models.

Also, if you want to buy a current kit, you can get them at Hobby Lobby which offers 40% off any one item.  They have a weekly coupon online and with it, a typical kit will cost around $16.

Enjoy your visit.

Well not models, but cars are model related. If you end up heading west into Nevada there is the Hays Truck museum which recently moved to Reno, NV from Woodland, CA. The National Automobile Museum which houses the Harrah's collection is also in Reno. Harrah acquired a pretty amazing pile of cars during his lifetime  http://www.automuseum.org/

There was a decent hobby shop in Reno back in 2005 or so, but don't know if it is still around.

West valley Hobbies, in the salt lake valley has a good selection. I think there used to be (not sure if it's still around) the model car museum in Salt Lake.

In the Provo  (Utah) area there is a hobby shop called The Hobby Stop, decent selection of cars. and as mentioned  MRS hobbies in Sandy Utah.

Ron

There used to be an old hobby shop in downtown Denver, just off 16th Street, about 40 years ago.

Bountiful, UT is just north of SLC and boasts a Hobbytown USA on 500 South, just off the interstate.  Get on I-15 North and 500 South (that's the name of the street) in Bountiful is just up the road.  Address: 416 W. 500 South.  Phone: 801-294-9444.  Good people work there.

If you're driving between Salt Lake and Denver, and you pass through Grand Junction, Colorado on Interstate 70, stop at Hobby Hut Models on N. 12th St. in GJ.  I used to go there as often as I could when I lived near Grand Junction, and recommend it highly.  Great selection of most everything!

Jim thats so cool you mention Hobby hut its a great hobby store i go every time im in GJ. And also Colpar hobbies in Aurora they moved into 

A bigger space a while back it's really a great store very well stocked. If your into model railroading  can't  forget Caboose hobby Unreal  train store!

Its down off South Broadway.  

If you can make it over near Boulder, there is the Shelby America museum in Gunbarrel. It's between Longmont and Boulder off of Hwy 119 on your way from Longmont to Boulder. I think they are only open on weekends so you will want to check out there hours. Colpar hobbies on Havana is the model place to go to. When you go there be sure to stop at Rusty Tacos, the best street tacos ever.