Model Cars Magazine Forum

2014 Corvette Stingray, Revell, 1/25

Matt Bacon

The Revell Germany release of the US-originated kit, hence the scale. The kit came prepainted in red, but I stripped that in favour of this colour scheme, borrowed from the 2017 Grand Sport. Even allowing for the fact that it's 1/25 rather than my usual 1/24, I'm surprised by how small the Corvette is...

Thanks for looking!

bestest,

M.

Looks good Matt. I've got the Foose one almost done, hope it looks as good as this. Only issue I see is the ride height, now I know to lower mine, I think its sits way too high, but your paint looks awesome. Love the blue accents on the fenders.

David

Thanks, David... If you want to alter the ride height (I think it's pretty accurate, personally...), you'll have to do some clever stuff at the front. The back end will just need the brakes moving upwards on the solid face they mount to, but the front is made up of upper wishbones with wheel carriers on the chassis and a single piece lower suspension. There are no shocks to shorten or easily re-angled wishbones...

bestest,

M.

Looks great, Interested to know what you used to strip the pre painted red paint? 

Not sure what Matt used, but I used 91% IPA, worked great, after a couple of hours I just scrubbed the finish off with a toothbrush. I tried Super Clean on my 2013 Camaro that had a factory finish and it was pretty much useless, go with IPA.

David

Thanks, all... 

I used 99% IPA, which softened everything nicely. You have to scrub it in the IPA, though... I discovered that the softened varnish sets back to a hard white "scum" if you try cleaning it with water! Bear in mind that the badges and titles are painted on as well, and the Revell decals don't provide replacements -- I had to paint the crossed flags Corvette logo. I don't know if there are any aftermarket sheets, like there are for Ferrari or Porsche...

bestest,

M.

I'm new to modeilng, what is ipa? BTW awesome vette!

IPA is isopropyl alcohol. You can use it to strip paint, as well as alot of other chemicals. If you use it, you want 90% plus stuff, lower % will likely work too, just not as effectively. Easily found in the States at Target (where I get mine), probably Walmart and Sam's Club too, Check the Tips section, theres more than a couple threads on this already, and if you're new, lots of good stuff there to read, wish the internet and forums like this existed when I started out.

David