Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why do I have to log in every time I change a browser?

sjordan2

For example, I just changed my desktop browser from Safari to Firefox, but that means I also have to log in again on my iPad. I'm sure there's a logical reason, but I don't know why.

AND, I just got this post kicked back to me with a message that says, "New posts within a short time frame are limited. Please wait 18 seconds before submitting."

Edited by sjordan2

Happens to me too. Site was working fine for me on IE this morning, but apparently there's an ad running on it this afternoon that locks IE up completely--I have to go to Task Manager to close it and unfreeze. This happens here from time to time. Got tired of waiting so logged into Google Chrome to drive on. Next time I want to use IE, I'll have to log in again. Not a HUGE deal, just a little PITA. 

You have to log in when you change browsers because browsers don't link to each other. Just because you may be logged in on Chrome doesn't mean you're logged in on Firefox or IE.

What I do is log in and just never log out. Don't really see the point in constantly logging out. I've been logged in for years.

What I do is log in and just never log out. Don't really see the point in constantly logging out. I've been logged in for years.

I almost never log out of anything. But every so often, I'll start up the pooter and find out I'm logged out of almost ALL my sites for no apparent reason. When this happens, THIS site is usually the only one where I'm still logged in--though it happens with this sometimes as well. 

For example, I just changed my desktop browser from Safari to Firefox, but that means I also have to log in again on my iPad. I'm sure there's a logical reason, but I don't know why.

It's very simple actually, security. As was mentioned, different browsers don't link together, but even if different devices are linked and using the same browser, this still happens for the security of your accounts. For example, I use Chrome on my main computer at home, my laptop that is usually at home as well but is seeing more use this week since I'm out of town for work, and also my phone. Everything is linked, all my bookmarks are on each device, and when I left the house I was logged on here on both the main and the laptop, but when I came on Monday night at work, I had to log the laptop back in. 

Now something else weird is happening, on a random basis. Earlier today (but not at the moment), I clicked on reply boxes and got a red dotted line across the box.

I get that under the area where the bold, smileys, and other options are and at the bottom of a quote box, with an "ENTER" type arrow on the right side that if you mouse over it says "insert paragraph here". Not sure what it's for though. :huh:

Same thing happened to me today. I always access the site from my phone, and I'm always logged in. But today I logged in from my computer, and when I went back to my phone I had to log in again.

It's very simple actually, security. As was mentioned, different browsers don't link together, but even if different devices are linked and using the same browser, this still happens for the security of your accounts. For example, I use Chrome on my main computer at home, my laptop that is usually at home as well but is seeing more use this week since I'm out of town for work, and also my phone. Everything is linked, all my bookmarks are on each device, and when I left the house I was logged on here on both the main and the laptop, but when I came on Monday night at work, I had to log the laptop back in. 

And just as I said earlier last week, I finally got back home from work and on my main computer now, which was logged in when I left and "Remember Me" checked, and I still had to log back in from the main.