Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '29 Model A Ford Street Rod

Kustom Steve

I am inspired by the cover car from Hot Rod Deluxe November 2014 issue, an old school highboy roadster with a model A frame, Olds engine, cycle fenders and Deuce grill.

0928151919.thumb.jpg.f3dfa641fbb3118c73e

I have noticed that the front cross member is further forward as well as a longer wheelbase. My conclusion is that Revell used an old street rodder trick and lengthened the engine bay area for the larger engine. This I feel is the area that most people feel that makes it "feel" off. The pictures illustrate the difference in length and layout of an AMT frame and the new Revell.

The engine will be from the Thames, manifold, carbs and fenders from the Tweedy Pie. The rear sliks are from thr parts box. I need a source for 50 Merc hubcaps though.

1411363504_hrd-11-2014_downmagaz.jpg

Edited by Kustom Steve

Great inspiration so far!

The AMT '34 Ford 2 in 1 street rod kit has chrome wheels that *almost* look like '50 Merc caps on chrome steelies. They're sort of halfway between '50 merc and baby moon caps. I used them on a '32 roadster build a few years back.

I'm guessing Modelhaus or RepMinCo probably have them, but if not, the chrome covers on clothing snaps might be the right size and shape.

32roadster_1Bsm_zps0b5f9578.jpg

Hot-Sale-High-Quality-30-Sets-Metal-Snap

Chris is right, you would be amazed at the things

that you find in various departments at craft stores.

The items I have found that are for jewelery

making, fabrics, etc. can be used in so many ways.

Seek and ye shall find!

David S.

Oh yeah! "Googly eyes" from a craft supply store have a shape that is very close to the '50 merc cap, if you can find the right diameter they could be painted with alclad or even foiled. And they're ultra cheap.

Oh yeah! "Googly eyes" from a craft supply store have a shape that is very close to the '50 merc cap, if you can find the right diameter they could be painted with alclad or even foiled. And they're ultra cheap.

Or just glue them in place leave them untouched! :wacko: