Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Tragically Hip to go on last tour.

Can-Con

It's been all over the radio hare in Canada for the last couple days.

Gord Downie, lead singer for the Hip announced  yesterday morning that he had an uncureable brain tumor. 

It's not been said how long he's expected to hold out but they have announced that they will do one last tour this summer for the fans. 

No east coast dates were announced though. Maybe they'll add some for us Maritimers in the future.

With all the music threads here lately, I thought some may like to know that haven't heard yet.

I saw that yesterday.

Count me in as a fan of TH, so this is sad news.

The thing that gets me is, how can a young man (52) not only accept a diagnosis of terminal cancer, but have the cojones to continue on with a tour?

Man oh man, that is something I could never do. I would be a wreck.

When I read the news a couple of days ago, it came as a real blast from the past. I spent half my life in records, but stopped listening to The Tragically Hip after Road Apples. Sort of figured they'd gone away ages ago. Sad news though.

My friends and I have a lot of discussions about music, but one thing they've never been able to get past is that I'm not a huge fan of The Tragically Hip. It's like I'm somehow un-Canadian or something.

For those unaware, The Hip are something like royalty up here in the Great White North. Every tour is sold out, every album tops the charts here. You become a Canadian citizen, you're handed a Hip album. TO say you're not a fan is akin to pissing on the flag.

For me, it's not that I hate them, far from it. It's just that they're not my cup of tea. I can take them or leave them.

Having said all that, this news is more shocking to me than any of the celebrity deaths over the past 6 months. Not just the announcement itself, but what they're planning to do. I can;t even fathom how he gets that diagnosis and then decides to go out and spend his last summer touring. I mean, I guess I kind of understand, as this is what his whole life has been about. But he has four kids. If I received that diagnosis, I'd be spending as much time with the family as possible, not going to work.

I'm not going to be one of the fake people buying tickets to their shows out of sympathy or duty or whatever, but I am going to be a little sadder when it all ends.