Model Cars Magazine Forum

Airplane models

does anyone know about vacuum formed airplanes I just bought a collection of airplane kits and I have a box full of brand new vacuum formed kits and was wondering if they are worth anything. I really don't know much about planes but this was a huge collection im guessing close to a thousand unbuilt kits, and several hundred built kits, aftermarket decals, kit decals, resin parts, parts kits it's really big I guess I'm back to swap meeting again! If anybody's looking or interested in any you can pm me.

vince

Follow Snake's advice. In my limited experience, most of the bigger name vacu-form kit makers put out excellent products. Yes, many are garage level businesses, but they are usually true aficionados and often subject matter experts. Some of the best are made (pretty much on demand these days) by the legendary Bill Koster, who was the designer behind many of Monogram's classic airplane kits, especially the big bombers. New modelers are often scared of vac-kits, but they aren't much different from building a regular kit.

Talk to these folks as well.

http://www.rare-planedetective.com/

G

That might be the way to go. Like the Pawn Stars or American Pickers, they'll only give you about half of what they think they can get for them, BUT they'll probably take the whole lot off your hands at one time. Less potential return on your investment, but MUCH less hassle in the long run. Especially since you don't really know what you have or what it's worth.

Thanks guys I really don't know what it's worth I usually deal in cars and my brother in military so this is new to us.we see lots at swap meets but never payed attention to them but we're having fun with them. I actually kept five of them I have not built a plane since I was a kid and im thinking I might give it a go again since I have a few! Lol Vince

Sounds like quite a haul.  Do you have a list? While many Vacs have since been super ceded by  new Injection molded kits, and are no longer the "only game in town" for a given subject, some have pretty good collector value, such as the Rareplane KC-97.  Contrail kits are still sought after.  

My favorite Vacuform kits are the big multiengine jets from NOVA ... They offered a KC-135, and a C-141 in 1/72. 

I have not built a plane in years about 40 of them now I'm drowning in them. I really appricate you guys help on this adventure and im going to make a list of the vacuum formed kits if anyone's interested im going to move them it looks like I have at least 100 of them from little ones to pretty good sized. The guy that passed away that we got them from was big into DC-3 planes I guess he was a pilot and Air Force man. So if anyone's looking for an older kit there's kits from 40 years back lots of military and civilian kits.

thanks again guys

vince