Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Baldwin Motion Camaro

Harry Joy

I gave it a light coat of Tamiya Fine Primer, which I rubbed down, then painted over with rattle can Tamiya Gloss Black.

Once that cured for about a week, I sanded it out, then painted it with airbrush, using Tamiya X-34 Metallic Brown. It took a good number of coats.

The black decals provide only partial coverage. The rear end and wing are in the original Tamiya Gloss Black. I had to feather the edge carefully where the decal covers.

Edited by Harry Joy

Thanks Keith. I whipped out a paint brush for this one. I like Vallejo paints now and then, but in general I find them difficult to airbrush. And hand-brushing was much simpler that masking and airbrushing.

Thanks Harry, just ordered a bottle of the Vallejo Chrome hoping I can get the same results, I just don't get along with BMF.

Thanks Harry, just ordered a bottle of the Vallejo Chrome hoping I can get the same results, I just don't get along with BMF.

It was simple to use, Keith, very forgiving. It is kinda thin so it levels out easily, no brush marks. I'm going to continue to try it out on trim, but BMF still has it's place. There is no way paint could easily replicate the chrome for the rockers. I also tried using the Vallejo chrome to fix up chrome parts, and it wasn't too good for that. It just refused to stick to the slick parts, so I went back to my old Floquil silver enamel for that (about the only enamel I regularly use).

Also, since it is paint and brushed and not a clean straight line like I get with BMF, the lines weren't perfect everywhere, which is why I whipped out the MIG dark wash. I used it to dress everything up.

But all the same, I am VERY happy with the Vallejo chrome.