Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mack R with Freuhauf Tanker

As if I don't have enough projects fighting for space on the desk with a personal deadline of September to have the custom Ford, the BRBO "BJ & the Bear" custom, and my 1/16 scale Kenworth done to debut at a show, I start this tonight!

I started with the trailer, I had the airbrush out and the spray booth set up, so I glued the tank halves together and spent about an hour removing the center seam, I then primed it with Rustoleum filler primer, then followed with Alclad Black Base. I then sprayed Model Master Metalizer Aluminum plate on for the color. 

HPIM4882_zps9jff0nhc.jpg

I guess now I'm going to have 4 big rigs to debut! 

Edited by highway

Man you are multitasking!  I'll follow this build.  Coincidentally I pulled the same kit from my stash last night.  Gatorfan69 (Mack) posted a Rubber Duck build last night and that inspired to do one using this kit.  Not 100% accurate but close.

Looking good! Certainly getting good use out of your new booth!

Yeah, it sure did get a workout yesterday! :lol:

Man you are multitasking!  I'll follow this build.  Coincidentally I pulled the same kit from my stash last night.  Gatorfan69 (Mack) posted a Rubber Duck build last night and that inspired to do one using this kit.  Not 100% accurate but close.

I need to stop pulling new projects off the shelves and get the started ones finished! :lol: I seen that build yesterday too before this even came off the shelf, and when I finally noticed this has a sleeper, the RD instantly came to mind! :lol:  I'm thinking of converting this to a daycab using my AMT R model as a guide, but that is not a certainty yet. 

I think many of us have a tendency to start multiple builds. It's either an illness or just part of the hobby. :rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your build.

Rob

Yeah, but my tendency also includes starting but not finishing! :lol:

The R Model was my favorite snap kit as a kid. I look forward to seeing this one finished.

I can't remember if I had this one or not, but I do remember the 1/25th scale original of the now Revell Kenworth. 

When was this kit first released?

I just looked at the kit to see if I could find an original copyright, and I would say 1982, but oddly those copyrights also say "Revell". There is a copyright both in the roof of the sleeper and on the kingpin apron of the trailer of "Revell 1982". 

mattthew , i like this r-model with tanktrailer

have seen it many time,s on ebay etc

and how many projects you do , make it like you want to do it

have about 6 a 7 in the hobbyroom , just the fun to do it 

a organished chaos on the table and than i wil stil start with a new one

we are not crazy ore something , just ..... addicted

wil follow this one

jacobus

When was this kit first released?

I had the Mack in the early 80's, probably around 83. My Dad picked it up for me in Alabama. I think that it was molded in red, but it did not come with a trailer. I'm not sure if it was the first release though. I also really liked the snap Trailmobile box trailer. I wish that it would have been released in 1/25th scale.

we are not crazy ore something , just ..... addicted

In my case, crazy AND addicted!! :lol:

Any updates Matthew?  I found this old post by J Quinn.

Nope Angel, no updates on any of the four projects fighting for desk time as of late. My days off work last week when I wanted to do a little on this and get some paint on my B.R.B.O. build somehow went "POOF" and was gone before I even knew it! I'm hoping this "weekend" (my days off float every week because of my six day work week, Thursday and Friday are my weekend this week) I'll have what I wanted done last "weekend" done and more! :D

• 3 weeks later...

I spent some of my weekend off practicing using my airbrush more, and since most of the use my airbrush is getting right now is painting metallic finishes, what a better project to practice on than something that is almost all natural metal finishes. I also used it to see what some of the various aluminum colors I have not only look like but look like together to add contrast. 

The body of the tank is Testors Metallizer Aluminum Plate, the top is Alclad Duraluminum, and the fenders and wheels are Alclad Hi Shine Plus Aluminum. I also used Alclad Black base for the rear suspension. I was hoping the body would turn out closer to the look of the fenders and wheels, but it still has a little shine and sort of gives the tank a used fleet look. I think the variance in color gives everything the look of a used trailer that has had some new parts, especially the nice shine of the fenders and wheels compared to the rest of the main tank. 

Here is a comparison of the wheels for the tank compared to the chrome wheels for the tractor. 

Also, without the flash on my phone. 

I don't know why, mainly because I'm not used to my new phone yet, but the flash on it darkens everything behind it, but it has a 16 MP camera where my old camera is only a 5 MP! I need to get better lighting in the model room soon!