Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

66 Nova Prostreet

KWT

Decided to start working a kit that had originally built 20 some odd years ago.. I still have the original kit I built... well pieces of it anyway... I remember the kit being a pain in my rump. Nothing fit right, the wheels sit funny as I could never get them straight, and when I did rebuild it once I left the interior completely out of it.. I painted the windows completely black so you couldnt see inside. This kit was a challenge, mentally and physically then...

nova_pro.thumb.jpg.a1779b54bdb9f40bd91a7

Fast forward 20+ years... the new release of this kit is just as dreadful... horrid amounts of flash, thin plastic, bad fitment issues left and right... but for some idiotic reason, like most others I'm sure, I love this kit...

nova_pro2.thumb.jpg.0b4251021b44c18b75cf

I've been working pretty steady on this kit, this week after work... sanding and removing the flash and some of the mold lines.. getting everything ready to paint and whatnot... not really had time to take a lot of pics as it's went along. I always forget until after I've done something to take any pics, anyway...

As of today, I had the interior and chassis together... everything is pretty much by the book, except I assembled the front end before I painted anything. And during the assembly, I flipped the spindles upside down to drop the front a tad more..

Here's what I have so far...

Here's the engine, shoehorned into the tiny engine compartment... nothing, and I mean nothing, wanted to fit... I cut and cut on everything to the point I thought it was all gonna end of having gaps to big, or not enough material for the glue to bite... but I made it work...

IMG_20160709_130707224.thumb.jpg.f61bf2e

Here is the stance overall... Like I said earlier, I flipped the front spindles around so it would sit lower.. I'd like to say I meant to, but honestly I glue'd the first upside down by accident...lol.

IMG_20160709_124950222.thumb.jpg.3020ea1IMG_20160709_130728251.thumb.jpg.ffd912e

As always, Thanks for looking...

Edited by KWT

Decided to start working a kit that had originally built 20 some odd years ago.. I still have the original kit I built... well pieces of it anyway... I remember the kit being a pain in my rump. Nothing fit right, the wheels sit funny as I could never get them straight, and when I did rebuild it once I left the interior completely out of it.. I painted the windows completely black so you couldnt see inside. This kit was a challenge, mentally and physically then...

nova_pro.thumb.jpg.a1779b54bdb9f40bd91a7

Fast forward 20+ years... the new release of this kit is just as dreadful... horrid amounts of flash, thin plastic, bad fitment issues left and right... but for some idiotic reason, like most others I'm sure, I love this kit...

nova_pro2.thumb.jpg.0b4251021b44c18b75cf

I've been working pretty steady on this kit, this week after work... sanding and removing the flash and some of the mold lines.. getting everything ready to paint and whatnot... not really had time to take a lot of pics as it's went along. I always forget until after I've done something to take any pics, anyway...

hi Jeremy, I have the older yellow issue but haven't jumped in to build it yet,,,,however, I laughed at your statement about how terrible the blue kit is, but you love it.....you are not alone , as many of us have cars that, frankly, stink in just about every way,,,,,but you can't get enough of them. I've been fiddling around with an MPC Twister Vega the last couple of theses hot, lazy days....and we all know what a junk heap that kit is, but with a bit of work, you sometimes figure something pleasing and terrific will develop.....lol..:lol:..even though that's usually a fantasy...lol....:lol:...the Ace...

Exactly... I'm hoping I can pull off something that if nothing else resembles a car. I should probably stop now and leave it as a go cart or something.. lol.

I don't remember a whole lot of details about the yellow issued one, except for the fact that it pissed me off every time I tried to do something with it... So I'm sure it wasn't much better.

Lookin' good so far Jeremy! I used the chassis of this kit in my '54 Chevy and I was happy with a lot of the fit. BTW it wouldn't be the first time that I did something by accident and it ended up looking better. lol

Watching for more progress on this one.

Thanks Joe.. I have like 4/5 of these kits. And originally was gonna do a build of the '53 gasser kit with this chassis... I decided to wait on that after you started yours, to see how it should be done, instead of my sad attempt  lol.

Decided to try my attempt of a candy paint job... After priming the body with Model Masters Grey Primer, wednesday evening I laid down 3 mist coats and a wet coat of Testors One Coat "Graphite Dust".. after letting that dry out, friday morning before work, I covered it with Tamiya Clear Red. Then shot it with Testors Wet Look...

Here's what I have this morning...

IMG_20160710_082007263.thumb.jpg.7bd7de3IMG_20160710_082103890.thumb.jpg.ca3a8a1IMG_20160710_082236703.thumb.jpg.e04345bIMG_20160709_130812733.thumb.jpg.b3890f4

I don't know if I should leave it this way, I try my hand at smoothing it out.. Smoothing out a guitar body, I'm all over that shiz... I don't know about tackling one of my models...

As always, thanks for looking!

You're doing a great job -really like the kolor as well!  -Im always thinking about buying this kit, but have been hesitant to do so because I was unsure how good it was. Seems like with AMT kits you either get one with a lot of great detail and quality, or you get one that's a real piece of........

Once you rework the entire front clip and headlight/grill/bumper assy' to fender fitment it is not that terrible. The mold quality on this piece has not gotten better over time, that is for sure.

Great body color!

This is definitely one of those kits that we love to hate.

You're doing a great job -really like the kolor as well!  -Im always thinking about buying this kit, but have been hesitant to do so because I was unsure how good it was. Seems like with AMT kits you either get one with a lot of great detail and quality, or you get one that's a real piece of........

I hear you on that. By large they are better than a lot of the Revell kits that I've been working with though. lol

This is one of those kits you just can't walk away from, when you're on a roll... cuz if you ever do, you'll put it back in the box and walk away...

Anyway, here's a couple mockup pics...

IMG_20160710_112231138.thumb.jpg.e521fc4IMG_20160710_112212928.thumb.jpg.0e5fe45IMG_20160710_112204341.thumb.jpg.6f0cb1d

Thanks for looking!

Well, I've finished her up...

I've never been good with extensive detailing, so she's a tad lack luster as compared to a lot of other builds. But I can say... after 20+ years, I think she and I have come to an agreement...

Here's a cpl pics.. gonna post some in the underglass section.

IMG_20160711_165649009.jpg

IMG_20160711_165734665.jpg

Thanks for following along, the words of encouragement.  And as always, Thanks for looking!

Edited by KWT