Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMTERTL 1994 car trailer

Chris,

You are maki9ng good progress on this one and it is lookinbg really good ! Where did you get the stand thaT YOU USE TO SUPPORT YOUR WORK ?

Be Well

Gator 

hiya Gator,

Thank you.i greatly appreciate your words.as for the stand,I make them out of scrape plastic from my scratch building projects,I scratch build alot.so I windup lots of evergreen and plastistruct as scrape.once enouch collects,then I just start glueing.I have about 7 different ones. different lengths and heights.thanks for asking.have a great day.....Chris

I have never built this kit only because I just never had a need for a trailer. Now that I have seen what you have made of it with various upgrades it now looks like something that looks very real. Now I might build one and then figure out what to put on it. Enjoy watching your build.  

I have never built  is kit only because I just never had a need for a trailer. Now that I have seen what you have made of it with various upgrades it now looks like something that looks very real. Now I might build one and then figure out what to put on it. Enjoy watching your build.  

LOL..funny i thought what you did about this kit.I've built all the Galaxy kits..there great.I built Revell open top car trailer..loved it.I actually have a glue bomb Revell trailer going now.

so I ran across two of these on ebay.the one I'm building now was glued once at least.no tires or rims.the clear top was smashed flat.so I out of the blue just desided to build a real looking open top car trailer out of it..its been fun.

thank you David,I appreciate your thoughts and experjences.have a great day.....Chris

I too have one of these kits mine however is brand new in the box! 

I for what its worth will be using "Tenax 7R" liquid plastic welder on mine, then once dry, I plan to either paint, OR use BMF on the corners to the seam they molded into the kit..... Leaving all else clear!

A question that I've wondered about on this kit, is, will it fit standard size models? Say, having it hitched to a Dodge truck, and have a '41 Plymouth inside of it for instance? In one of my builds, my Father & Son Dodge Truck build, my Dad owned a REAL '39 Chevy in real life (that I own today) would that model fit inside the clear car carrier trailer?

• 1 month later...

Sorry its been awhile on this.life gets in the way.anyways,I have the axles,brakes,wiring,conduit and wheel backs made.its all on.the suspension is still not permanent yet.I still have work on the trailers bottom side and making the ramps.thank you all for looking.....Chris 

AMTERTL 1994 car trailer 15.jpg

AMTERTL 1994 car trailer 16.jpg

ABSOLUTELY NICE detail man! Question, that yellow stand its resting on,. what is that amd or did you build it? IF SO, you have any sort of "plans" to scratch build another one? Kinda a neat tool!

Thank you John.I appreciate the kind words.as for the stands.I make them for specific projects.there is no plans.there made out of scrape plastic.there adjustable for different jobs.I have a few for different projects...they help me alot.several people have asked about them.here is a picture with nothing on them......Chris 

P&C truck stands yellow.jpg

Thank you John.I appreciate the kind words.as for the stands.I make them for specific projects.there is no plans.there made out of scrape plastic.there adjustable for different jobs.I have a few for different projects...they help me alot.several people have asked about them.here is a picture with nothing on them......Chris 

P&C truck stands yellow.jpg

Chris,

Those look absolutely HELP FULL! I may have to take your idea and make a set of my own! I like the way the seem to hold things!!!! So please don't be alarmed to see a set that I make much in the same way yours is!

I too have A LOT of "scraps" so..... PERFECT use for such a thing!

Question do they "extend" in the middle width-wise?

Chris,

Those look absolutely HELP FULL! I may have to take your idea and make a set of my own! I like the way the seem to hold things!!!! So please don't be alarmed to see a set that I make much in the same way yours is!

I too have A LOT of "scraps" so..... PERFECT use for such a thing!

Question do they "extend" in the middle width-wise?

Hey John...LOL...absolutely no problem. you want to make some for you...do it.as for your question.this set doesn't extended width wise just height. I have a set that does..there bigger for big trucks,big trailers.I have about 10 right now.yes there very handy.yes the scrap plastic works get for these.oh the holding parts are adjustable as well.hope your turn out better.have a good daay...Chris 

Hey John...LOL...absolutely no problem. you want to make some for you...do it.as for your question.this set doesn't extended width wise just height. I have a set that does..there bigger for big trucks,big trailers.I have about 10 right now.yes there very handy.yes the scrap plastic works get for these.oh the holding parts are adjustable as well.hope your turn out better.have a good daay...Chris 

Looks like there is some adjustment of the tabs front to back too. Am I correct at estimating the overall width at 4.5"?

Looks like there is some adjustment of the tabs front to back too. Am I correct at estimating the overall width at 4.5"?

Pat..yes the tabs are adjustable I guess I didn't write it good enouch..thats what I was talking about.its width is 3 7/8.but remember this was built to what I needed it for.if you make your know then it mite not be right for you.if you choose to make yours then make it for your projects.wish you the best and have fun.....Chris

Ok,here is the latest.The ramps are in general done not finished or painted but roughed in.the rear trailer crossmember hinges are roughed in.I have a few more pieces to make.hinge spacers a bushing for hinges and hinge rods for both sides  and rear tail light mounts with locating holes for mounts and light wires..oh and ramp handles.I get things roughed in before to much sanding and finishing happens.trailer is going to be blk...thank ya all...Chris 

PS.thank you Gator for your kind words...an yes ...I'm having so much fun on this.I hope you do as well on your projests to...everbody should.

AMTERTL 1994 car trailer 22.jpg

AMTERTL 1994 car trailer 28.jpg

AMTERTL 1994 car trailer 29.jpg

AMTERTL 1994 car trailer 23-1.jpg

AMTERTL 1994 car trailer 24-1.jpg

AMTERTL 1994 car trailer 25-1.jpg

AMTERTL 1994 car trailer 26-1.jpg

Chris,

NICE work on that trailer!!!! Thing really looks the part! This is the same trailer thats gonna have the clear sides, right? (Like a display case)

-I have that AMT kit, and I'm trying to figure out, if it will hold a muscle car (I'm not if its big enough for that!) BUT I wanna use it to haul a '70 Dodge Coronet R/T in when that cars done! 

John,

Yes its the same kit.but it came to me as a glue bomb.the clear sides were brokenup and so I desided to build as a flatbed (open top) trailer.so the sides and top will not be on it.it also had no wheels or tires.but I'm putting a different set then it came with. the bed in 1/1 is 17.5ft long .scale 8.5 inches.I shortened my trailer by about 5/16s or less.here is a  builder Camaro in 24th scale on the bed.you maybe can get a idea on whether it would fit...thank you for the kind words on my trailer........Chris

AMTERTL 1994 car trailer Camaro.jpg

Here is the latest.the ramps are about done in main construction . the hinge rods I'm waiting for the materials to get here.now working on the lights for rear of trailer.I have got to get them done before the rear crossmember goes back on the trailer its self.still thinking about license plate location . any duggustions?.thats were I'm at now.on the hunt for a RR to go on the back.....Chris 

AMTERTL 1994 car trailer 30.jpg

AMTERTL 1994 car trailer 31.jpg

Thanks for clearing that up Chris! I THINK my idea will work...... As I'm gonna keep my "clear sides" on my trailer and just do something with the corners/seams to high the glue joint.... I do however LOVE what you did to the base of yours!!!! Thats lookin real good!

The ramps position-able?

John,

Thank you.I have a bunch of galaxy trialers,there inclosed.I wanted a flatbed (open top) trailer.besides..this trailers clear sides were broken up when I got this glue bomb trailer.so no sides for me.I wish you good building with yours.I would like to see wip pictures when you do yours...if ok.as for ramps.yes the ramps will have a strip of styrene  that will hold the ramps in the up right position . I worked for a man that had a trailer with ramps like this.right now working on the lights in the rear (sig,stop,tail) of trailer,then after the lights I'll be working on the ramps locks.have a nice day......Chris

• 4 weeks later...