Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kit-Bashing - Where do I find individual kit parts?

I've just started on my 1:24 '77 GMC plow truck kit, maybe I should have just bought a plain truck because I'm not going to use the roll-bar, plow, gas can or spare tire, but for $12 on clearance I couldn't say no.

I want this to be a pretty plain truck, I'd like it to represent what I'd own, so I don't want the chrome manifold and fuel injection (this is a '77 isn't it?). There may be some other options I'd go for, say for instance if I suddenly fancied a step-side. So, this being a circa-70's tooled kit that was constantly reissued, where would I go to find loose individual parts?

If I wanted a carb'd plain intake and air cleaner and theoretically wanted the step-side bed, where would I look? Thanks for any info, I'm fairly ignorant here and the internet is a new tool to a hobby I've been absent from for years!

eBay has TONS of individual model parts out there for just about anything. Some are "Buy It Now", others you may have to bid on. I'm fishing through listings there for parts I may need all the time and in fact, there are a couple sellers I have listed as favorites for this very thing.

..................And welcome back! :D

Well I went straight to eBay to begin with but haven't found anything related to a 1/24 scale intake manifold. The only engine kits are the chrome upgrade accessories. I'll have to post in the wanted then! Thanks! The block is already puttied, but I'll have to wait to paint it until the heads are on..which means I have to wait for my manifold! Onto the chassis then :lol:

Just keep buying Kits that you can customize until you have the needed intake! You already have a Chrome Intake Manifold with Fuel Injection, Roll Bar, Snow Plow, Gas Can and Spare Tire sitting in your Spare Parts Box looking for a New Project!!;)

The Chevrolet version of this tooling has everything you're after. Try looking for one of those online; a built-up would be your most economical option.

Built-up means assembled?

you realize the chrome can be stripped, right? or is it the wrong configuration?

Yes I've done this, it isn't actually chrome hah. But the manifold and intake are CLEARLY a TBI setup. I want the good ole frying-pan filter housing with standard 4bbl iron intake.

Thanks everybody! I will be posting in the Wanted!

Snake is right..post your needs here under the wanted thread...someone will have them.  Id like to have the plow from that kit...I have plans to build a replica of my truck and it has one.

I looked right past this. Message me and I'll tell you what I don't plan to use! The plow sprue is still in its bag.

Another good source is some of the resin casters who have various parts available. You may find an intake and carb set up for $5 or so from one caster and the air cleaner from another for a couple of bucks.

I would also suggest looking to see if there are any upcoming model car shows and swap meets coming to your area. These are a great source of parts, kits and resin pieces at great prices. At some of the shows I go to there are multiple vendors selling already assembled kits as well as pieces at low prices.

As Snake pointed out, if you have stuff you don't see yourself using but are in need of stuff, offer it up in the trading sections and most likely get what you need for the low cost of shipping .

I can pretty much guarantee I have the intake and air cleaner your looking for. I really don't want to mess with shipping so if you are ever in Ft Worth let me know and you can swing by and take a look. I have a metric ton of parts.

I can pretty much guarantee I have the intake and air cleaner your looking for. I really don't want to mess with shipping so if you are ever in Ft Worth let me know and you can swing by and take a look. I have a metric ton of parts.

Don't want to mess with shipping ? An intake and an air cleaner ? Tape it to a piece of cardboard and stick it in an envelope, a bucks worth of stamps ? :huh:

Don't want to mess with shipping ? An intake and an air cleaner ? Tape it to a piece of cardboard and stick it in an envelope, a bucks worth of stamps ? :huh:

Those inexpensive bubble-packs were invented just for jobs like this. B)

I had some type of grand mal seizure a few weeks ago and lost some vision, hand coordination both on my right side. The state took my drivers license because of it. MRI revealed a spot on the portion of my brain which controls my motor skills so at this point for me it would be easier for someone to stop by the house rather than me try to bug my wife for a ride to the post office.