Model Cars Magazine Forum

Newbie from Sydney, Australia

Davoski

G'day mates :-)

Newbie here - first post. Definitely not last.

Like many, I am revisiting this hobby after many years and am astounded by what is available on the young peoples Interweb thingy these days - all the stuff I wish I had 40 years ago!!!.

Anyway, I have ambitious plans for some dioramas in 1/24 and 1/35; some movie/TV scenes and some 50's and 60's Australian culture and motorsport themes among others. By their nature, these projects all require multiple figures and accurate scenery as well as cars.

I have purchased many of the cars and figures I will need to get going as well as tools and equipment. My budget is limited and I have sought to buy cheap wherever possible (with a bit of lateral thinking) but understand the need to spend the right money when necessary.

I am interested in maximum realism (within my technical capability) and understand the limits of my patience so I am therefore seeking to take advantage of technology wherever possible. Among the many questions I will have for your forum will be some around your experience with budget 3D printers and combination lathe/mill machines. This will be on top of the dumb questions about paint, construction, PE, etc etc. I plan to ask questions like a 5 year old kid!

In one of my previous lives I ran my own signmaking business for 20 years so I am OK with CorelDraw for 2D CAD and will share my ideas for using this in visualising dioramas and preparing scale plans and other construction aids.

In return for the assistance I will be looking for, I hope I can share a slightly different approach because of my background and I will do my bit to positively contribute to the forum.

Cheers and Cooee, cobbers!

Davoski