Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paints and techniques

Wondering what type of paints you all use on your models? (Acrylic, enamel, lacquer, ext.) If you where to use just one type of paint on a model what would it be? Best paint for bodies? Best paint for other parts and detailing? Mostly brush on or spray paint? How you do you paint your small parts?

Welcome again to the forum.

I don't wish to seem unfriendly or not helpful, but all of your questions have been addressed multiple times on the board.

For a relatively easy way to search for specific information, click here: Ā Ā http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/79627-how-do-i-search-for-answers-already-posted-here/

Sam I would recommend the Tamiya and Testors Lacquers in the can. They both spray well from the cans and dry fast which most enamels don't.Ā 

Tamiya primer in white & gray is great to. You can get these at Hooby Lobby and Hobby Town stores.

One master those you can look at getting an air brush. That opens up buying automotive grade factory colors from Scale Finishes, MCW, Gravity Colors ETC.

Ā 

I've used enamels, acrylics and lacquers for bodies, and having seen what can be done with nail polish, I plan to try them someday as well. Ā More often than not,Ā myĀ choice of paint for car bodies comes down to finding the closest match to the specific hue I have in mind.

For interiors, engines and chassis, I mostly use enamels, specifically Testors and Humbrol, but I've learned that the Vallejo acrylics are very good too.

For projects withĀ exposed bare metal (transmissions, etc)Ā Testors Metalizer line of mild lacquersĀ will cover just about all the bases. Ā Humbrol also offers some metal-replicating enamels that can be polished out. Ā 

If you're just starting out, you could probably get by with just enamels (bottles and sprays) found at your local hobby store, especially onceĀ you learn to mix paints to achieve a certain color. Ā Once you step up to a beginner's airbrush, you'll be amazed at what can be accomplished with these paints. Ā 

Welp, speaking as a newB and some one has has/is struggling with paint, all I can really add is that trial and error.Ā  Watch YouTubes of mixing/thining and then its up to father time for the rest.

I use enamels, acrylics, lacquers for diff things and colors.Ā  Plus diff brands behave differently as well.Ā  Paint in my opinion is the most difficult and important aspect of a model.

Read this;

Lots of helpful replies on that, one of my first posts.

Ā 

Monty, are you thinning your enamel or anything if so how or are you just brushing right out paint jar ?

It depends on the situation, but when I'm detail painting small items, I find it can be helpful to put a dab of paint on some wax paper, then dip the tip of the brush in thinner before dipping it in the paint. Ā Enamels flow pretty well, but this is kinda like reducing them for airbrush use - the paint is a little thinner, but still covers, which is what you want in most cases. Ā Again, this is meant for small items; Ā anything larger than an armrest gets airbrushed. Ā For that, I reduce my enamels with cheap lacquer thinner. Ā It seems to dry quicker, harder and with less orange peel. Ā 

HTH

• 3 weeks later...

I am fairly new to the modeling community as well. I also still have millions of questions on paint. I have tried it all and that's exactly what you need to do. Watch youtube videos and ask questions and then try it out for yourself. I personally use either acrylics or enamels. I gave lacquers a try from the can and the paint quility was great! For enamels I use the small testors bottles thinned 50/50 with lacquer thinner and it has worked well for me. I've also had great results with acrylics. I've used Testors Azteks which I have not mastered yet, Craft acrylics and Tamiya acrylics which I personally like the most. For me clear coating is the most difficult part along with sanding after the paint and clear have dried. Practice Practice and patience is key!

Reach out to me if you have any questions.