Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's the best way to blacken panel lines?

As you've discovered, just trying to just "blacken" panel lines with a "wash" is a big mistake. Even when it works, it looks like ass.

Go into the Tips section and read the thread on scribing out panel lines. I do almost exactly what that thread says and my stuff looks great. That's the way to do this. (Long story short: I scribe out the lines, put the black paint in THEN, then prime and paint as normal and never touch the panel lines again except to wash polishing compound out of them.)

Edited by Snake45

Snake is right, do not just add black into the panel lines, especially on a lighter colored car, it will be too stark.  In my opinion, I have seen some very nice, straight panel lines that had black added to them and it actually detracted from the model.  There are several different ways of doing it.  I had had good results "pre-shading", (to borrow a phrase from our military modeling brothers).  I add the black on top of the primer before shooting color coats.

As always, practice on a spare body if you can.  Good luck!