Model Cars Magazine Forum

1:25 Tractors

landman

I've been looking for 1:25 tractors and evrything I see is 1:18. Is that the mainstream scale for tractors?

For farm tractors in diecast, being as those are the core of the "Farm Toy" collecting hobby, the scales tend to be 1/64, some 1/32, and many in 1/16 scale--the last one having been very much the standard scale for diecast toy tractors when farm toys became very popular in rural America back in the early 1950's.

Art

Pat, There is not a lot of 1/25th 1/24th scale agricultural stuff available. Ertl produced a few diecast combines. Someone produced a plastic diecast version of a 1/25th scale Allis Chalmers D14 tractor awhile back but it is extremely rare. 

One site you might check out is Buffalo Road imports. They list a bunch of various diecasts in various scales. http://www.constructionscalemodels.com/en/.  

Carl

Art nailed it. But, as others have mentioned, 1/25 does pop up from time to time, it just depends on what you're looking for (current or vintage) and if you're ok with die cast. That said, there is a line of Bobcat die cast that are 1/25, mostly current production models plus a 1958 Melroe (first year of production) that are very nicely done. With a little detailing, they can be made very nice. I have also seen some Kubota die casts in 1/25 as well. If you have one nearby, Tractor Supply would be a good place to check here in a few weeks, as they should be getting their Christmas stock in.

In plastic, things are more limited, and in some cased, very spendy. Ed mentions the John Deeres and the IH from Ertl, there was also a pair of Massey-Ferguson 1155 tractors, one a stock ag tractor, and one customized pulling tractor that Ertl offered as well. I have also seen several M-F tractors from Heller on Ebay, mostly European spec, but could be converted to US spec without issue. Heller has also recently issued a Ferguson TE20, which was also sold in the US as the TO20. With some work, it can serve as a basis for a Ford 9-2-8 N, as many of the parts for the Ferguson were pretty much copied from the Ford.

• 3 weeks later...