Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Fujimi Toyota Sports 800

ConventionalMan

Hello folks... 

So it's been a loooong time since I last completed a model and with my kids getting to the age where they can do them, I sort of got bitten again! My last completed model was probably 20-25 years ago! My, things have changed but so much has stayed the same. My patience has gotten a lot better I can tell you lol.

This kit has a lot of firsts for me. From bare-metal foil to Future shine to making seatbelts, it kind of turned into a test platform for all kinds of new stuff! The kit itself is a 25 year-old Fujimi kit, lots of fiddly, tiny detail parts that tested my bad-word filter many times. The body I actually painted probably 20 years ago, but the rest I just picked up like I never left off...

Anyway, enough with the chit-chat and on with the photos! I hope you like!

The box was a little beat up but did it's job - everything was still in there!

s800box1.thumb.jpg.611cef3f1807abcdcb861

Please don't mind the orange peel (I realized after I had it mostly assembled, I could have cleaned it off and started again. Oh well, next time!) Bare-metal foil window frames and door handles (first time for me on that stuff!)

s800-1.thumb.jpg.b255eefc8f58039e8e1b415

s800-3_(2).thumb.jpg.2d8071c390b7cf695c5

Hard to see, but the instruments are all decaled.

s800-4.thumb.jpg.83f67baf6ee2066b6453dd9

Very basic attempt at some wiring under the hood, just for practice, and just visible, seat belts... again, firsts for me.

s800-6_(2).thumb.jpg.a1422d110742e5f4e54

A little retro shot.

s800-7_(2).thumb.jpg.4e76717920a5365fb0d

Such a neat little car. They don't make 'em like this anymore.

s800-8.thumb.jpg.7838d3f28b82cad3a981bbb

I hope you enjoyed. And if anyone has any pointers or techniques to share, I'd love to hear them! Thanks for looking!

Love it!! Great job on it for such a long time away.

I have the racing version of this that I picked up a few years ago at the LHS. It was part of a collection that the shop owner had bought and it was opened. I picked it up for $13 and I am still dying to start it. I was amazed at how small it is, even for 1/24 scale.

Again, great job on yours. 

Later-

Love it!! Great job on it for such a long time away.

I have the racing version of this that I picked up a few years ago at the LHS. It was part of a collection that the shop owner had bought and it was opened. I picked it up for $13 and I am still dying to start it. I was amazed at how small it is, even for 1/24 scale.

Again, great job on yours. 

Later-

Thanks very much. The racing one is pretty slick too - do it! And yes, this thing is TINY! I'm wondering if I would even fit in the real life version lol!

Thanks very much. The racing one is pretty slick too - do it! And yes, this thing is TINY! I'm wondering if I would even fit in the real life version lol!

Yeah. I'm sure I wouldn't. At 6'1" I got stuck in a 57 Tbird once. Got my toes stuck behind the pedals and my knees wedged beneath the steering wheel. The used car salesman still had the nerve to ask me "What can we do to get you into this car?" I said "I don't know. What are you going to do to get me OUT?"

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

Yeah. I'm sure I wouldn't. At 6'1" I got stuck in a 57 Tbird once. Got my toes stuck behind the pedals and my knees wedged beneath the steering wheel. The used car salesman still had the nerve to ask me "What can we do to get you into this car?" I said "I don't know. What are you going to do to get me OUT?"

Later-

HAH me too.

Funny story - I sold cars for a living up until a few years ago and most recently our store was selling Fiats. I had trouble with the size (I'm 6-1 as well) and if it had a sunroof I couldn't get in it. When someone asked ME how I liked the car, I said sunroofs are overrated - go for the convertible lol.