Model Cars Magazine Forum

Some ideas for Revell's new '69 Nova

Thanks for sharing those pics, Albert; I'm kinda partial to the blue one, although they're all cool.

Ever since I saw this light yellow one last summer, it has haunted my dreams:

DSCN2747-vi.jpg

DSCN2748-vi.jpg

It's got a stinger hood, Motion valve covers and decals, but I have no clue if it a real MP car or not....either way, I'd love to have it.

It's got a stinger hood, Motion valve covers and decals, but I have no clue if it a real MP car or not....either way, I'd love to have it.

Hey Dave,

This is strictly a (somewhat) educated guess, but I bet that is not an MP car for a couple of reasons: first it's too subdued. MP cars had lots of show to go with their go. It may be a COPO car with the hood and valve covers added after the fact. The second reason is that MP mainly tuned Camaros, there are other Motion cars like that one Corvette (Manta Ray?) and the Cobra dragster, but he was mostly about those Camaros. The person we really need to weigh in on this thread is Ed Cervo. He knows just about everything there is to know about Joel Rosen and Motion Performance. I can't remember seeing him here, so maybe we pose this question on the spotlight board where he shows up from time to time. As for the Nova, I too am stoked about the new Revell release. The last two in this series have been multiple build releases, this and the 70 Mach/ Boss Mustang. Motivation for me to start and finish the as yet unstarted Mustang to justify the purchase of the Nova

Hey Dave,

This is strictly a (somewhat) educated guess, but I bet that is not an MP car for a couple of reasons: first it's too subdued. MP cars had lots of show to go with their go. It may be a COPO car with the hood and valve covers added after the fact. The second reason is that MP mainly tuned Camaros, there are other Motion cars like that one Corvette (Manta Ray?) and the Cobra dragster, but he was mostly about those Camaros. The person we really need to weigh in on this thread is Ed Cervo. He knows just about everything there is to know about Joel Rosen and Motion Performance. I can't remember seeing him here, so maybe we pose this question on the spotlight board where he shows up from time to time. As for the Nova, I too am stoked about the new Revell release. The last two in this series have been multiple build releases, this and the 70 Mach/ Boss Mustang. Motivation for me to start and finish the as yet unstarted Mustang to justify the purchase of the Nova

Motion did several cars other than Camaros. They even did Impalas. They could be built by Motion any way the buyer wanted. Stripes were not required. Several 427 Novas were built. (Even Joel Rosen doesn't know how many, but probably less than 50.) There were no 427 COPO Novas in '69 or any other year, that I've ever heard of. Chevrolet will only admit to COPO Chevelles and Camaros in '69 but, to date, three 1968 COPO Camaros have been varified. One of the three '68 Camaros is a Yenko car.

The car pictured by Dave appears to be a '69 based on the rear sidemarker light. The aftermarket "427" front sidemarker light is a '68 style. No way, from a picture, to varify that it is, or isn't, a real B-M car.

Your right about Ed Cervo - he is the hands-down authority on Baldwin-Motion cars.

Dave - Reps & Mins has those exact Chevy dog dish caps and Model Car Garage has the complete photoetch sets for 68-72 Novas. BTW, the color is Butternut Yellow.

This may or may not help a little Dave.

You've probably already seen'n'heard all there is about Motion stuff, and already know of this site..

I'm a bit of a Baldwin Motion nutter....though I'm no authority on them..

Motion Performance

In the section for "Wild advertising", there's some really kool old adds, including this one from 1968..

1968 add

Looks like the Nova/SS Chevy II was an option..... :P

cheers

Greg

While there were not 427 COPO Novas, there were 350 LT-1 COPOs correct? Or was the LT-1 an RPO for the Nova? As you can tell, Nova knowledge is a Bow Tie blind spot for me

This is the reason I love message board discussion (even with myself). It prompts me to do research which in turn leads to learning. What did I learn? There were COPO in the form of Yenko ordered 427Novas, according to the link. It's just that they were super rare, 37 made, and in Don Yenko's words, "lethal" you can read all about it here: http://www.superchevy.com/features/nova/su...ovas/index.html

This is the reason I love message board discussion (even with myself). It prompts me to do research which in turn leads to learning. What did I learn? There were COPO in the form of Yenko ordered 427Novas, according to the link. It's just that they were super rare, 37 made, and in Don Yenko's words, "lethal" you can read all about it here: http://www.superchevy.com/features/nova/su...ovas/index.html

Jason,

I read that article years ago. PLEASE READ IT AGAIN. There were NO COPO 427 Novas. All '69 Yenko Novas were SS396 cars. Don Yenko transplanted 427's into them. The last few went out with the original 396 still installed with new wheels and stripes.

The '70 Yenko Deuce was a COPO car. They were sent to Yenko from the factory with Corvette 360HP, 350 c.i. engines installed. Yenko added the hood tach and the stripes and wheels, if desired.

Nova-vi.jpg

Jason,

I read that article years ago. PLEASE READ IT AGAIN. There were NO COPO 427 Novas. All '69 Yenko Novas were SS396 cars. Don Yenko transplanted 427's into them. The last few went out with the original 396 still installed with new wheels and stripes.

Nothing further I can add except "You're right, and I should read more carefully." It does pose and interesting question: who has 27 425 H.P. 427s laying around to install in cars? :)

:) Jason,A good Chevy Hi-Po dealer can have any thing in his inventory. I was suprised to learn there were no COPO Novas.I read some other websites an turns out Lyle is right.They were ALL conversions from 396 Novas.Ya learn somethin new every day, Thanks for the info Lyle! B););)

What's goin' on...

Albert

Thanks a million for taking those pictures. I'm planning on purchasing three of those Revell 69's. That first photo is exactly how I "WILL" build one of them as. Switching gears here.... Last year I sold my 70 Chevelle I've had since 1989. If I ever get another 1:1 hot rod it'll be a 68-72 Nova completely identical (or I'll build it like that) to that in the first picture! w/ fuel prices being nearly $4.00 a gallon I got no interest in getting back into the hot rod hobby and in all honesty I don't regret selling the 70!

IF ya don't mind I'm going to load that pic it to my FlickR album! Of course you'll have credit for the picture.

Nothing further I can add except "You're right, and I should read more carefully." It does pose and interesting question: who has 27 425 H.P. 427s laying around to install in cars? :lol:

Who knows what was really built or not built then? That was almost 40 years ago!

Who knows what was really built or not built then? That was almost 40 years ago!

Well when somebody is getting ready to lay down six figures plus for one of the aforementioned cars, they probably expend a little time and effort to authenticate the car's origin and history. Kind of funny to me when you look at the current cost of some muscle cars and their shared pedigree and parts with tens or hundreds of thousands of cars "just" like them that rolled off the assembly line ahead or behind them. To the non-car guy, that '70 Hemi 'Cuda hardtop looks just like the rusty Barracuda with a 318 his uncle had in the 70s. "It was the same color even".

Some great ideas for sure once they start shipping those Revell kits. I guess I can use those AMT versions in my stash for some late model stock cars! I am even thinking about using one of them in a diorama seeing how the front fenders are separate from the rest of the body. I was thinking maybe a "before" & "after" scene with the AMT being the beater "before" and the Revell the "after" beauty.

Mike

Thanks for sharing those pics, Albert; I'm kinda partial to the blue one, although they're all cool.

Ever since I saw this light yellow one last summer, it has haunted my dreams:

DSCN2747-vi.jpg

DSCN2748-vi.jpg

It looks like the kind of car you'd expect to see grandma driving- pastel paint, dog dish hubcaps, but that ain't no straight six under the hood! Gotta love the Q-ships.