Model Cars Magazine Forum

1949 Mercury Club Coupe Police Package

Jim B

Here is a little project I started a couple of weeks ago. 

Managed to get some work done on the frame, engine, & interior.

Here's a closer shot of the Mercury V-8:

Here's sort of where I'm going with this:

walt_disney_cars_sheriff_gallery_1.jpg

I think I'll skip the eyes, though.

If you haven't looked already, the Revell '48 Ford coupe has most if not all of the period parts you would need. The kit is current and I'm sure that more builders are building something other than a PD car so I would think getting these parts should be easy if you didn't want to buy the kit.

Thanks for the comments, guys.  I appreciate it.

David, I've already tried that route, but it doesn't look like anyone has purchased that kit that isn't going build it as a police car.  I have the gumball light from a Jo-han 1968 Fury kit (I think), but I still need to track down a more period correct radio, rood sirens, & figure out some way to make the whip antennas & curb feelers.  Shouldn't be too terribly difficult!

This a picture of the parts from the '48 Ford and I included the PD parts from the '57 Ford Del Rio if they look like something you could use. On the '48  there is a siren, two lights that are chrome with red lenses a little less than 1mm in diameter. A spot light about half a mm in diameter with a clear lens and an antenna a little over 2mm long in chrome. The decals show both a generic "State Police" and "Chicago Police" makings. The license plates are '48 issue for Illinois and Virginia.   The '57 Ford has a roof mounted red light just under 1mm in diameter and about 1mm high. A fender type mounted red light siren combo about 1/2 mm in diameter and 1mm long with a red lens. A spot light about 1/2mm in diameter with a clear lens. The antenna is 2 1/2mm long. The decals have "Franklin County Sheriff"  with 7 point star and a generic "Highway Patrol" door shield with a  6 point star. There are three additional door shields for Sheriff and Clearwater PD and Highway Patrol. The sheet also has two manufactures emblems for the siren and the roof light. Both sets have small tow way radios for under dash. I'm not a service vehicle builder and I don't see myself ever using these  parts. If this will help you project let me know.           

IMG_0580 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0581.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Well, Sheriff is starting to take shape:

2016-11-25%2014.35.01_zpswikdaok4.jpg

2016-11-25%2020.14.11_zpsfycjiomh.jpg

2016-11-25%2020.14.26_zps2v5ng6fd.jpg

Hoping to get the engine finished up this weekend & completely installed; then start on the interior.  Fit in general has been pretty poor.

James. Has this project stalled out ? Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

I wouldn't exactly say "stalled out", but it has been more like "back burnered" for the holidays.  I'm hoping to get more done after Christmas.  The body needs a tremendous amount of clean up (mold seams, huge sprue attachment points, flash, etc.)  All in all, if this ends up a "Three Footer", I'll be happy.

• 4 months later...

I have managed to get some more work done on Sheriff.  Here is the completed dash with Best Model Car parts gauges & the radio from the Revell 1957 Ford Custom Police Car.

2017-05-13%2013.31.28_zpszyiygeqw.jpg

If it ever warms up & stops raining (and I can get all of the flash off of the body); maybe I'll be able to get some paint on the body.

• 1 year later...

Wow!  Has it really been a year & a half since I worked on this?  My how time flies!  Well, Sheriff is back on the bench.  Still don't have a really good solution for the curb feelers, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.  I do have a solution for the radio antennas, though.

20181027_214144.jpg

• 1 month later...

So I managed to get some paint & decals on Sheriff the other day.  The lights & sirens are just placed on the roof for the photo.  I do need to strip & repaint the hood and the rear wheel fender cover things, but all in all I think it's coming along nicely.  Hopefully I'll get the clear coat & BMF on it this week.

With_Decals_600.jpg