Model Cars Magazine Forum

Duplicating door handles

Hi, I am working on making a 4 door 1958 Plymouth Belvedere as a side project; I am converting from the 2 door "Christine" kit.  I was wondering how to copy the existing door handles so I have two more? I have Squadron filling putty, Plaster of Paris, and modeling clay.  I was hoping that it could be done from those materials.  Any ideas would help...

-Thank you.  

20161113_195058[1].jpg

1251964134_me 522-720x340.jpg

Easiest way... get some kid's modeling clay (maybe even Silly Putty would work but I'm not sure), and press a small wad onto the existing door handle. Carefully peel it off and you will have a negative mold of the handle. Get some 5-minute epoxy and fill in the hollow handle with it, let cure completely, and remove the clay. Then just trim or sand the "flash" off the back side of the handle (if any), clean off any clay residue, paint it silver, and glue in place.

Easiest way... get some kid's modeling clay (maybe even Silly Putty would work but I'm not sure), and press a small wad onto the existing door handle. Carefully peel it off and you will have a negative mold of the handle. Get some 5-minute epoxy and fill in the hollow handle with it, let cure completely, and remove the clay. Then just trim or sand the "flash" off the back side of the handle (if any), clean off any clay residue, paint it silver, and glue in place.

Another method for making the negative mold is burnishing aluminum foil over the handle, shiny side out. Then, as Harry mentioned, fill with resin, etc.

Remember, the driver's side handle is different from the passenger's side.

When you're done, you have a door handle that is "chrome" plated...you might want to make all four that way.

That technique can be used to duplicate other items (such as hood/trunk emblems) as well.

Edited by BigTallDad

Bondic is my preferred material for filling small molds like this. No mixing (squirt into the mold as is, no hurry (doesn't cure until blue light cures it, no wait (cures in 4 seconds under blue light) and y0y're done.

In case no one knows, Silly Putty is not a stable material, It still flows and by the time your epoxy cures Silly Putty will be trying to get flat and flow away from being a mold.

In case no one knows, Silly Putty is not a stable material, It still flows and by the time your epoxy cures Silly Putty will be trying to get flat and flow away from being a mold.

Agree completely, though you might be able to get away with it if you put the Silly Putty in the refrigerator for a while before use, and then put it back in after filling for the cure.

Also, don't forget that would be easy to put three or four or more door handle impressions in the Silly Putty, fill them all, then pick the best ones to use.

Oh, also to the OP: You're going to need four door handles, not just two. Converting from 2-door to 4-door means you'll have to move the existing handles forward, which means you'll have to sand off the existing ones.

Agree completely, though you might be able to get away with it if you put the Silly Putty in the refrigerator for a while before use, and then put it back in after filling for the cure.

Also, don't forget that would be easy to put three or four or more door handle impressions in the Silly Putty, fill them all, then pick the best ones to use.

Oh, also to the OP: You're going to need four door handles, not just two. Converting from 2-door to 4-door means you'll have to move the existing handles forward, which means you'll have to sand off the existing ones.

... and if you use Bondic it only has to hold shape for 4 seconds  :D