Model Cars Magazine Forum

Which one is better?

ProZach

My daughter was coloring and I saw all these markers and remembered someone using Sharpie for detailing. So I pulled out MCG photo etch valve cover and this is what I have. The first pic doesn't show the detail I'm asking about. The valve cover in the 2nd and 4th pic are mostly orange with Edelbrock and the out trim chrome. The 3rd and 5th all the raised detail is chrome. I need to clear this and can't decide which looks better.  I've been looking at this entirely too long. Which one looks better? All comments are welcome.

IMG_0496.JPG

IMG_0579.JPG

IMG_0589.JPG

IMG_0590.JPG

IMG_0591.JPG

Zachary

You should do a test spray with the clear on something you don't care about. The clear may make the sharpie ink run.

Tony

And if it doesn't run, it might with time migrate up through the clear. Seen it many times with guys using black sharpies to sharpen panel lines over in Model Airplane World.

I did a test on aluminum with Alclad Klear Kote, Alclad Aqua Gloss and Future. Alclad Klear Kote did awesome! Alclad Aqua Gloss and Future changed color, Future was actually the worst and it did lift the ink and run on top of color change. I will be using Alclad Klear Kote on the chrome raised detail. 

Curt, Tony, Chris Carroll, Can Con and Snake45, I want to thank you guys for the input. It saved me a head ache and confirmed the valve cover I was leaning on using.

btw, I apologize for the pic, I had to use my phone and it's a horrible comparison pic.

image.jpg