Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's the best Coronet kits available

The three Revell kits you mentioned are the same basic kit, save for different decals, wheels, and a few other small parts...Sox & Martin version, too. A very good kit, but the rear quarter panels slope downward a bit too much, IIRC. Otherwise, builds up nicely.

The soon-to-be reissued MPC '70 is good, too, and based on the new-in-the-late '80s AMT '68-'69 Mopar B-bodies, with the old MPC body parts added in. The Dirty Donnie version is the Pro Street version, with super wide rear tires, the optional DOHC Hemi engine, and P/S style suspension. If you want a stock looking car, avoid the Pro Street versions.

Original '70 MPC? Meh, not worth the money when the refreshed "newer" MPC '70 is easily found for $15.

Depends on what year ( and scale if it matters ) your after.

AMT made a 1965 Coronet kit ,,way back then .

Polar Lights ( I've  shown here ) makes a decent 1965 Coronet today, its not perfect but can be made to look presentable for a lot less than the original AMT kit is going to cost you in todays market .

All the 1967 Coronet kits are the same ,,just different wheels , decals and box art.

Monogram made a 1969 Superbee ,,but its 1.24th scale

MPC used to make the 1968 thru 1970 Coronet kits back in there respective year ...... The same 1970 Body is avail today ,,,just with the modern tooled AMT chassis and running gear.

There never was a 1971 or later Coronet kit produced

post-9887-0-61863200-1433338660_thumb.jpOBH5.thumb.JPG.27879e23f68f60d6bb4fc8aaa

When did Sox & Martin operate a Dodge? :huh:

They ran a '65 Coronet AWB, IIRC. I also think they briefly had a Challenger (but it may have never been raced, only tested).

Edit: I have been looking on the internet to check my facts, but can't find anything. I really do seem to remember them having a Coronet. Maybe they rebadged it as a Belvedere for a single race or something. I seem to also remember them disguising a '70 Cuda as a '71 for a race or two.

Edited by Xingu

They ran a '65 Coronet AWB, IIRC. I also think they briefly had a Challenger (but it may have never been raced, only tested).

I thought they went from Chevy to Mercury to Plymouth--no Dodge. But I'll dig out the S&M book tonight and double-check.