Model Cars Magazine Forum

48 ford woody (gluebomb series) > rodded> 99% done pics

crazyrichard

Definitely think the modern engine is way to go.. I think it looks great.

thnx and yes i'm going for the 5.0 ho :)

Het word dus de 5.0 v8 ..

the oil pan on the automatic grearbox wont fit , i shortened the tranny a bit and there is no room hight wise .. i just added 3 bolt like things to make it less smooth ... later those will be painted chrome , lets say its a richard special auto tranny ? :)

also made a new oil plug in the pan on the engine block , cast was tiny ..

and finished the tranny with a round piece , that will get a sort of edge on the end to make it look more exiting ..

fitment is perfect

added the waterpump and heads , more detail will come

thnx randy !! :)

note > the chassis and parts look rough and due to filing and handling its pretty horrible on pics .. later with primer that will come together :)

went on with the engine and all its fitment issues .. striving for something that kind of makes sense ...

tackled the famous floating alternator from revell , just made a arch shape bracket .. i think the other round part down low is a airco pump ?? not sure tbh ? so is it ?

in the part where the waterhose gos on i drilled a hole so later i can glue in a small rod and put a real rubber hose over that with a clamp

distributer loose on , placed a tiny bot lower then intended by revell , and the dechromed top part with air cleaner , ready for some detail work

heavely cut down the headers , made them stop facing down and put in small steel pins for connecting the pipes onto later on on final assembly

great fitment everything runs free and clears , please dont look at the top of the fron suspension lol :) its all hidden by the fenders / bodywork later on i went this way so i had a fixed ride hight and good connection for the wheels .. then made the suspension seen from below .. in the end this all will be out of sight

headers seen from below , removed those extra bars i ran from the transmount to the front ... pipes will come in through the wide slot in the x frame and go onto the headers

de extra stangen onder heb ik verwijderd hier was niet omheen te werken en dat ze de uitlaat raken is niet realistisch

Started on the rear air suspension ... looked at a lot of refrence pics of extreme air chassis .. challenge was to get the bags in front of the axle and then connect them with the axle .. of course its all put in so its on the lowest setting ...

tried to make it look like a convincing whole .. just started building in the we will see what we end up with style ...looking at several real air chassis (unconventional ones) ..

carried through the speedhole look from the x frame in most parts ...

i went with a large frame connected to bags and then on the axle , 2 lateral bars , a round support over the axle with brackets for shocks ... i have seen so many weird contraptions this should sort of be possible .. not saying its 100% up there but ....

this all because the interiour and body where already done and i could not redo the interiour tub to create space for conventional airbag placement

thnx bob !

primer time ! really brings it all together and makes it look nice instantly ..

front of the x member has 2 pieces removed , i had to to later be able to line up the exhaust and place it good .. i'll try to close that up after

also made some brakets to hold the fuel line and brake lines

thnx ...! and hmm maybe you are right .. well its now more a connection to make the transition in angle then a steering box .. i sanded so much down ...

i need to get into the tech a bit more on steering i'm afraid :) for now i'll leave this as is :)

and skills ... just try to put in more detail on every build and gradually you find stuff gos easyer .. i'm nowhere perfect , i see stuff that makes mine look like childsplay .. but thats the fun in the hobby > room for improvement .. i now buidl things that 2 years back i would think was impossible for me hahaha

time for some base paint ...

the engine got a coat of blue to match the blue in the patina of the tins ...will be a tad darker with a wash .. the intake manifold and headers will be painted off course ...

the wet chassis ...its taken shortly after painting , it will dry up more matte its satin black ...lot of details will be painted like all the bolts and bars .. so more chrome will be added to the chassis later

here are 2 parts that just got a layer of chrome , the tank is the airtank and will be mounted in the trunk area behind the rear benc seat .. the airfilter will get some real material in black looking like real filter material .. not sure yet what to do with the piping (the bend pipe)  leave chrome or do that black ..

thnx guys !!

chassis is dry now and satin .. its smooth !! surface is really smooth came out better then expected since it was a gluebomb and the chassis was painted without primer and when that came of it needed a lot of work ..

the drive shaft in chrome

first pieces of exhaust pipe , the bends connect to the headers and then go trough the frame ..

distributer , start of it , painted the cap red

engine is coming together ...

the chassis and wheels

all together

loads of stuff to make ... master brake cilinder , alter one and put it on the firewall , brakelines , vacuum hoses , hoses to the throttle body and wiring to the ring just in front of the air cleaner ...brake discs etc etc

So i arrived at the point where it all starts coming together ! a lot of dryfitting , removing some paint but it all fits very well , always a exiting moment when you change around so much and it needs to go together

dryfit of the chassis , driveshaft is in , i love the contrast between the satin black of the chassis and the matte tubs

put the engine in the chassis and dryfitted the chassis with engine

put in the first exhaust parts , carefully glued because the chrome paint is easely affected by glue ...i still need to fabricate the rest of the exhaust , i figured it was better to make it when its together and the first sections are fixed into place .. it will not be a long exhaust , maybe some small mufflers on the pipes i have now and then a short piece bending down facing the ground

got everything dryfitted ...

perfect mix between patina-ed and a tight undercarridge

one thing bothered me , the underside of the transmission , its the ford automatic but i could not fit the oil pan ..

it looked fake , too blue and too flat .. now everything got its fixed place i was able to make it a tad lower and make a notch for the bell housing .. a good compromise , sure it sits to far forward now ...but its better then without the oil pan .. and it has plenty of ground clearance still

thnx bob ..

well it still hurts but i managed to do some stuff and when it hurt too much i stopped .. so in a few days i got the woody 99 % finished :)

i cleaned up a lot and added all the tiny details , all the chrome on the outside is now painted chrome , the small items like the doorhandles , hubcaps , mirrors and license pate holde are painted after i put them on , with a hand brush

the 5.0 v8 , put some black plastic mesh around the airfilter , looks better then the cloth tape .

added real rubber waterhoses (ear phone wire mantle) , vacuum hoses and other wiring .

still to do : battery and a master brake cilinder

38d7bfcc5117c19999b22ae6fc74dab7.jpg

i build a search light out of a small light housing and a steel needle pin , wich really gos inside to the cab

00788b18b98dacdc90c17431424c9ccb.jpg

rear tailgate handles are from a ferrari gto , kit ones where not there (incomplete glue bomb) , i drilles holes in teh tailgate and made freched taillights there ..

299db4c6fd7ddb91ba5743dbe90d45ef.jpg

exhaust done , the pipes from te headers are made from sprue , used mufflers from my stash and made mall bend pipes behind the mufflers

1afc0c3a2e3d484dc13668d0dc020a06.jpg

added brake lines (is a small diamerter spring like wire) and made a fuelline from a small guitar string , ribbed

b7c470b139b4070cb91a5bf829a62034.jpg

a few outdoor shots

c028e3876e8f8fde86812ddb1c969546.jpg

e74f7b6538041031a60b04d2b867ac1a.jpg

9833528eaa798d3d7228111d89e04b2f.jpg

mabe a nice chrome roof rack would look cool ?

Edited by crazyrichard