Model Cars Magazine Forum

92 firebird

So I have a lot of kits to build or am in the process of... However, I just bought this one from my local h.s. I've always wanted this kit because it's quite close to my 87 formula. The only difference I can see is the nose cone and the rear wing. I had the wrap around but it was a taller wing than the 92. Anyone have any experience with the kit? Fitment wise and such? It looks like it's got decent detail to it. Makes me wanna get the vette done...

Here is my take on it:

finished.jpg

It went together pretty well. I made no major adjustments on it. To back date it to a `87, the front and rear bumper as well as the rear spoiler will need to be changed. If you need the older style wheels, you can get them from the `85 Trans Am kit. I have been planning to do an older formula, but never got around to it.

Thanks guys! Hawk I actually saw your build on that formula earlier today! It came out so nice! I actually found it through Google search when I typed in 92 firebird as image search! My 1:1 firechicken actually hade these wheels on it with the goodyear gator backs and it was tuned port just like the model but mine had the bumper ettes not the updated nose. And mine was the top with an auto trans

1989-pontiac-firebird-formula-coupe-2-door-50l-1.jpg

85-92Reartail3.jpg

Hi

Your Formula can be easily be replicated with any of these 1/24 1987-1992 Formula-T/A kit. Your biggest challenge will be the front bumper.

Try to find a trash-built 1982-83, their bumper won't have a spoiler. Using a nice unbuilt example would be criminal. 

Good luck ! 

My only real complaint is the typical molded in underhood detail. The brake booster is especially bad looking. You'll have to find an earlier style steering wheel, as the kit has the airbag type wheel. The transmission looks like an older style 4spd, so a swap of some kind is in order if you want an accurate trans.