Model Cars Magazine Forum

Colour Tinting Two Part Resin

Hi to resin experts on this forum..... Sorry if this question has been asked previously, and I did try a search before posting.

I am wanting to add something to my resin in order to change the colour of the part produced following moulding and casting. My first thought was to add one or two drops of food colouring to the A part of the two part resin mix, then mix it thoroughly and add the B part as normal. However, I am worried that if the food colouring is water-based then the curing process of the resin will not work properly. Would something like a tube of artist's oil paint work better, or possibly clothing dye? Any thoughts from forum members would be much appreciated and also any personal preferences for this type of work. Thanks guys.

David

http://www.monsterkolorstore.com/

I have purchased these dyes.  They offer some glo in the dark colors.

marshall amp badge.jpg

I made this badge using Smooth- On 325 Clear resin.  It has the Monster color blue glo in it.  This is the color of it with the lights out.  I think you can use a laquer paint too I ialso use dyes from smooth on.  You might try micheals for casting kits and dyes.  They might carry the Alumilite line.

ASU%20faucet%20handle%201_zpsx3uf5scl.jpg

Here are some faucet handles I made.  I mixed the gold and maroon dyes from primary colors.  I made the resin gold first and then just quickly swirled in the maroon.  If you are using a cheap white resin like their 300 series you could swirl in some red and blue dye and create a red, white and blue themed item.  You might try experimenting with nail polish.  There are some really cool colors and cheap at a dollar store.  You can refrigerate the resin before mixing.  This will buy you a couple more minutes of working time.  I use Task 8 resin for most parts.  It will take a lot of heat.  Great for making parts for real cars too.  Pressure casting is the best.  Having a vacuum pump and vacuum chamber are important items to have too, to be successful.

Edited by Greg Wann

Thanks for helpful suggestions, and some interesting ideas for me to consider. I can't afford to ship from those companies in USA, here in little 'ol England, but I'm sure there must be similar suppliers in UK. ( nail varnish could be a strong possibility, as my daughter has loads ! )

One further question while I am here, if you don't mind.... the two parts that I am producing moulds for at the moment are a chassis and an interior seating module. My thinking is that a one-part mould would work for the chassis, but the interior module will require a two-part mould... is that correct?

David

Thanks for helpful suggestions, and some interesting ideas for me to consider. I can't afford to ship from those companies in USA, here in little 'ol England, but I'm sure there must be similar suppliers in UK. ( nail varnish could be a strong possibility, as my daughter has loads ! )

One further question while I am here, if you don't mind.... the two parts that I am producing moulds for at the moment are a chassis and an interior seating module. My thinking is that a one-part mould would work for the chassis, but the interior module will require a two-part mould... is that correct?

David

You could try here -  http://www.ema-models.co.uk/index.php/catalogsearch/result/?q=resin   -I've only used them for plastic and tools but they have resin dyes and stuff too

Hi Greg,

I like your 1963 Pontiac Bonneville mold and cast, which looks nicely done. I was trying to find a kit or a resin body for a Pontiac Parisienne 4-door RHD Canadian model, but there doesn't seem to be such a thing. I always go for the hard to find ones, including Ford Anglia 105E and Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud. Yes, I shall take your advice and do the chassis in 2-part mold as well as the interior module. It was just that I saw a You Tube video that showed a guy doing a chassis as a one -part mold. I will have a look at your other projects.

David

The place I get my resin supplies from sell tinting products for doing just what you need, for clear resin parts I've used food colouring without any problems, I'll find their details when ii get home 

Edited by GeeBee

Hello Geoff Brown,

I have seen several articles that say food colouring does not cause problems, but the product is water based, which is what concerns me. Also, my resin is not clear, it is Ivory White and the part that I want to colour blue is a full body shell from a two-part mould. I realise that the sensible thing to do is to test the food colouring tinting on a smaller component first, before going onto the resin body. I suppose only one or two drops of the food colouring would be needed in any case.

David Watson