Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hawk Woodie on Surfari

PatW

Update..........Well.........because the chassis and everything else is askew, not square, I've had to shave off and bend the floor to fit. Then you have the problem of the tailgate not fitting, but guess what...............it did!

27_zpsapib0wkf.jpg

And a tatoo and earing for the driver...........

30_zpshhxh6qpe.jpg

a few flames..........

31_zpsajhpe9w5.jpg

32_zps4cplzjhr.jpg

and the horn and rear light fit....................

36_zpseiykjv1j.jpg

and of course there are only exhaust manifolds, so I attached some ally tube to finish the exhaust off.

More tomorrow hopefully.

Edited by PatW

You're doing a great job on this one, I've built nearly all of the Hawk Weird-Ohs (except this one for some odd reason) at least once.  If you look at any of the illustrations Bill Campbell did Hawk Models really did a great job of staying true to Bill's designs which is why some of the parts have a wonky fit in places.  According to a book that I was given for my birthday on Bill Campbell, he was very hands on with the production from illustrations to the models.  He designed and or illustrated box art for a whole lot of Hawk's aircraft models as well, most of which had pretty normal fits.

I've used baking soda and thin superglue to bring the characters seams  together a bit more than they fit out of the box and it makes them look a whole lot better.  The last couple of Weird-Ohs that I built I was on a rushed time schedule so I ended up using two part Bondo glazing putty which works as well if not better than the superglue does, if you aren't careful with the superglue and soda filler you can oversand the surrounding plastic and end up with more filler to fix it.  With the Bondo I used a super light glaze of Tamiya white putty, it's fine grained and gives a good transition from filler to plastic.  Don't be afraid to use detail washes of black or other blending darker colors to bring out the highlights.

These models all came out around the same time that Revell was doing Ed Roth's Rat Fink and the other monsters, Monogram did Stanley Mouse's Super Fuzz a few years later.  The Weird-Ohs really look great with decently scratch built doo dads that fit the theme, as I can see you are doing with your Woodie character already.

Yours looks great,  have a load of fun building him, these are great modeler's block kits.